Primer/paint/varnish process ?

Hi, a begin again modeller here trying to get my head around the general consensus of the processes for priming, painting & varnishing my Spitfire build.

Having looked through loads of posts on here, can any experienced kit builders let me know if this sounds right pls ?

( Using airbrushed acrylics )

Prime everything 2 - 3 coats

Paint colour schemes etc

Gloss varnish all over

Apply decals

Weather etc

Gloss varnish again

Matt or Satin varnish for final coat.

I guess everyone probably has a various methods & tricks for getting good results but just wanted to get a heads up for all the different items i will need to purchase.

Ive got all the paints, thinners, decalfix, glues etc so if I'm missing anything, please chip in & let me know.

Much appreciated πŸ‘πŸ»

Hi Andy, thx for that.

Ive read about applying a gloss varnish before the decals. I assumed this was all over but others have mentioned about just glossing where the decals will be placed to avoid β€œsilvering β€œ πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Bit of a minefield when there are so many opinions etc but i appreciate your input mate πŸ‘πŸ»

Totally agree with you.

just a bit daunting when you see how far modelling techniques have moved on over the last 50 years since i last picked up a kit.

I think one thing ive realised is i’m overthinking a lot. I guess i just want to do my kit justice.

Really appreciate your comments tho πŸ‘πŸ»

Ultimately you hear what everyone has to say and then find what works best for you.

Β 

Β 

^^^This. FWIW I gloss after decals, because it makes it easier to remove/manipulate weathering treatments. Washes, especially are likely to stain applied over a matt surface.