Changing Loco ID with e-link

Hi All,

New to the hobby

I use e-link and have set up a programming track (P) and layout (L)

Have tested (non-Hornby) loco on L and this runs fine when using default ID of 3

But unable to change ID and get loco to run with new ID

I've tried 2 methods

A. the simple one where one simply changes the loco ID whilst on P

B. More complicated version where all CVs are read and then tried a 4digit ID

Specific questions:

1. Note that loco has CVs with numbers greater than the default 255. Do I need to read these in order to get method B to work?
  2. Is there an issue or insurmountable problem when a CV is read as "cannot verify" (or something like that)? Does this mean changing the CV is impossible?

Any help/suggestions out there

Thanks

This is actually a RailMaster software question (for the RailMaster & Trackmaster forum) and not a Hornby DCC forum one. A mod may move your post there.

There is absolutely no mandatory need to read any CVs if all you want to do is change a loco decoder address.

Place the loco on the 'Programming' track piece connected to the 'PROG' output of the eLink.

Open the 'Locomotive Settings' screen using the Loco icon in the top navigation bar of the main RailMaster screen.

When the 'Locomotive Settings' screen opens highlight the loco you want to address in the list. With that Loco highlighted do not touch the green tick in the bottom right corner of the settings panel.

There is a box directly below the locomotive list labelled "Locomotive DCC ID". Enter the DCC Address you want to use for this loco. This box DOES NOT change the address stored in the decoder. It only tells the locomotive throttle what address you want to use to control the loco.

At the bottom of the 'Locomotive Settings' screen is a row of icons. One of which is a Loco (between the waste basket & the i icon). Click this icon and an address entry box will open.

Enter the address you want (any number between 0001 & 9999 see note**) and this will write that address to the decoder. This address MUST MATCH the address you entered in the "Locomotive DCC ID" box.

Click the 'Red Cross' on the setting screen to close it down and save the changes (not the green tick).

Move the loco onto the main layout track and test it using the new address.

The power sent to the programming track when writing an address or a CV is very low. Therefore the electrical path between the eLink & the loco decoder must be the best it can possibly be with the lowest electrical resistance. So when you get reading & writing errors you need to ensure every aspect of the electrical path is spotlessly clean and shiny and that the loco pickups are making good contact with the wheels and that both the track rails and the loco wheels are clean.

The reason for not touching the green tick at any time is because you have stated that the loco is a non-Hornby one. The green tick forces RM to consult the Hornby database for decoder data. This can sometimes cause issues when reading / writing CVs on non-Hornby locos, particularly if not fitted with a Hornby decoder.

If the above doesn't work for you then I strongly suggest that you use the instructions in FAQ number 2 located in the 'RailMaster FAQ Index' at the top of the RailMaster forum to setup and configure your non-Hornby loco. Deleting it first from the RailMaster locomotive list before adding it again using the FAQ 2 guidance method.

If using Hornby track make absolutely sure you are using Digital track connectors and not Analogue ones OR use wires soldered directly to track on both the main layout AND programming track piece. Digital track connectors are R8241 & R8242 whereas Analogue ones are R8206 & R602. The Analogue track connectors corrupt DCC track signals.

Note ** Subject to that address range being supported by the decoder.

P.S. There is a wealth of useful RailMaster 'how to' information in the 'RailMaster FAQ Index' pinned sticky that is well worth reading.

• 3 weeks later...
Accurascale have confirmed no lock.

Now this is the important bit. Do NOT try to read any CV values using the Green tick.

Does it matter if CVs have previously been read?

No it doesn’t. As explained elsewhere on the forum if you ask for a full read RM doesn’t know which decoder it is so it tries to read every CV and usually makes a mess of it.

You can try clicking on CV7 (right click or double click, I can never remember) which is read only but special. There is a drop down list of every decoder in theRM database. Pick yours if it is there and the correct set of CVs for that decoder will populate the list. It should then go on to read those for you but as stated you can write blind to any decoder.

Try writing a short address in CV1 and see if that sticks. If so and you want to write a long address use the addressing icon, also explained previously.

@KNAP

That message just means that the decoder is not built into the database. I strongly suggest that you use the instructions in FAQ number 2 located in the 'RailMaster FAQ Index' at the top of the RailMaster forum to setup and configure your non-Hornby loco decoder. Deleting the loco first from the RailMaster locomotive list before adding it again using the FAQ 2 guidance method.

As previously stated ... as the decoder is not found in the database then do not use the green tick (CV Read/Writing screen) to try and read it. Write the address you want blind to the decoder as per FAQ2 using the 'Steam Loco Address Writing Icon'.

First 3 assumptions:

• you have downloaded and installed the latest version of RM from the link over the top of your existing version.
  • you've meticulously followed FAQ2, and
  • it is still not working (you didn’t say).

If so, then please email HRMS from the facility in the Help tab of RM after you’ve tried and failed (when you email, it attaches your log file so HRMS can see what you’ve done) and include in your email all detail of what you’ve tried and failed.

• 2 months later...

Latest Sept 21 used. Hoping for an update!

Rails added address for me. However, I also have a 2nd Manor that had same issue and I have to use on 03. HMRS was contacted.

Next problem

Hornby 9F Blue tooth

loaded on tablet, but stop is a dead stop, no deceleration even when set a 255.

elink will only work with address 03, but decelerates when stopping.

Next problem
Hornby 9F Blue tooth loaded on tablet, but stop is a dead stop, no deceleration even when set a 255.

I suggest you start a brand new thread in the HM | DCC Forum as Bluetooth APP issues have nothing to do with Railmaster.

Plus, technically you are hijacking Peter's thread by placing your 'unrelated to original' question here.