Joining the Club - anyone know when available

Michael-367234

Hi All

Currently club membership can not be done -

Asked but told to just keep checking back in

Don't mind, but keen to buy a few bits as interested having another go, maybe better than the 1970's hung from the ceiling efforts-

Do I have to wait to 2024 as don't want to log on every day in hope club joining available

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything yet? I have been trying to join for a few weeks now and it just says to keep checking the newsletter. Maybe it still works for renewals but not for actually joining?

A bit frustrating really as I wanted to join a couple of months ago but didn't have the spare cash to do so, and as soon as I did it isn't available lol. unamused

I suspect they have run out of membership packs. At this time of the year they will not want to order more and will probably extend exiting members to next year, when the new pack becomes available. New folks wishing to join will have to wait too. This is not a bad thing, as they will get the new pack at the beginning of the year, rather than having to wait.

i had this happen to me some years back. I'm happy that my renewal is now mid-January and I get the new Club Kit not long after it's become available.

It seems that Airfix have separated the red box from the Club Membership such that one choose whether or not one wants the box with the kit. It seems many model makers were not happy buying the membership and having to also get the kit since they either already had it or weren't interested in it. This will run till the end of this year.

AIRFIX CLUB MEMBERSHIPS

• NCLUBAIRFIXPLUS2023 – Airfix Club Membership 2023 – UK ONLY – UPDATED – NO RED BOX INCLUDED (RRP £15.00)

Includes;

• 10% off at all products Airfix.com
  • Downloadable Airfix Club passport (to claim free kits with tokens)
  • Exclusive products (including the ‘red box’)
  • Three magazines per year
  • Exclusive competitions
  • Member-only experiences

*What’s the update? We have added the 2022 ‘Red Box’ (A73014PLUS) as an exclusive Airfix Club product. Link: A73014PLUS Airfix Club Package 2022, this red box is now available to purchase separately, giving customers the flexibility to purchase should they wish to. This includes the 1:72 BAE ‘First & Last’ Hawk exclusive kit, ‘remove before assembly’ flight tag, Airfix stickers, Airfix Club poster, plus the Club Passport and welcome letter.

• NCLUBAIRFIXPLUS23ROW – Airfix Club Membership 2023 (Rest of world) – NO CHANGE (RRP £15.00)

Includes;

• 10% off at Airfix.com
  • Downloadable Airfix Club passport (to claim free kits with tokens)
  • Exclusive products (including the ‘red box’)
  • Three magazines per year (digital only) 
  • Exclusive competitions
  • Member-only experiences

Both memberships include the option to purchase the Airfix ‘Red Box’ (A73014PLUS) separately, and so, in effect, operate as digital-only memberships. This is something which members have requested in the past.

RED BOX (A73014PLUS)

RRP £11.99.

Red Box includes:

• Exclusive Kit – 1:72 BAE Hawk XX154 ‘First & Last’
  • Airfix Club Passport
  • Airfix Stickers
  • ‘Remove before assembly’ fight tag
  • Airfix Club Poster
  • Welcome Letter

When I joined the Airfix Club, I wrote here that it was unfair, at a time of financial hardship for lots of people, to eliminate the lower tier of club membership that came without a kit. The problem Airfix have is they have the Flying hours programme and that is one of the main reasons people join the club, I know it was with me. Yes, the 10% is useful on occasion, but I mostly buy kits on ebay and from retailers who often sell Airfix kits for less than Airfix do, even with the 10% off. I mean, one has a new Vulcan for sale at £44.99, compared to £72.49 at Airfix, who manufacture and supply those kits. Even with a 10% discount, it is way over £45, and yes that includes postage.

But I digress. By reducing the price, Airfix show they got it wrong, because for the Club to exist it needs a certain number of members, if you don't get that it isn't viable. So for goodness sake, next year lets keep the lower, cheaper tier of membership and lets allow people to choose if they want the Club kit. After all, the Flying Hours programme has the cost built into the cost per kit, and if that is what they want, mercenary as it may seem, let Club members have it.