1:600 HMS Devonshire conversion to HMS Bristol

KiwiKev

A 1/96 scale model of the Type 82 HMS Bristol got me wondering if I could make one in 1:600. Initially I thought it would have to be entirely scratch built, but it turns out the same team designed the County class destroyers. Closer inspection of the hull lines suggest they are surprisingly similar hulls, and although the County hull will have to lose about 7.5 mm in length, the size is close, beam about right, deck levels just need adjusting.

So anyway I might grab a Devonshire Vintage Classic and give this a go, might be a very interesting project.

As I suspected, the County class destroyer hull is not a bad candidate for a Type 82 conversion. 10mm length was removed from the middle to shorten the hull somewhat, the forecastle deck was extended flush all the way back to a slightly higher and longer quarter deck.

Most of the hull and decks is created from the original Devonshire kit parts. Things will get more involved once superstructure blocks are built.

Parts of the hull still need to be extended up to the deck but this won't be too hard. The gap at the bow is interesting as in the real ship it appears to be vertical plating in this area, strongly suggesting the hull design was very similar to the County class, simply faired up to a flush deck to elimate the pronounced fore-aft sheer of the earlier ships.

The 4.5 inch mount bases will need to be removed. One will be covered by the Ikara launcher and deck house. Aft the Limbo mortar well was added to depict the ship in its original configuration, a spare Limbo mounting from my Leander build will be used here.

forum_image_651a80ed0d257.thumb.png.156d255d0dea2f3da9ead2d01c4ce80c.png

From side on, the flush line of the deck needs to be continued from the line it makes aft of amidships. If you look along the original hull you'll see a point where the weather deck angles up towards B turret, and this top edge needs to be removed in a straight line from that point all the way to the step in the hull between the turrets (red triangular wedge on photo below).

With the flush deck fitted this will leave a gap to be filled, and this should be vertical plate, it doesn't align with the sheer of the hull below that point (red arrow forward).

The quarter deck needs to be extended forward, and is slightly raised compared to the original. Make it only 4mm below the level of the deck above. This will require cutting away another portion of the hull plating, making sure the change in deck levels is vertical, no angle (red polygon aft).

With the quarter deck fitted there will be a gap between it and the original quarter deck level (red arrow aft).forum_image_651b1af55bd86.thumb.png.bf4266989f527fede4879f9c7b378eea.png

I decided to use as much of the original model as possible to cut down on waste, so I have cobbled together the flush decks from the original. This also ensures a relatively good fit, although where the hull has been cut down you lose the original ledge that supports the deck so some adjustment has to be made in these places which often includes making the deck a bit narrower to fit.

The areas marked will need some work to remove existing features and fill in gaps.forum_image_651b1afc1d771.thumb.png.9c246d44ffc3c53b59489546005eff56.png

Excellent progress on this, the hull is close to complete as far as major modifications are concerned, though I will try to find the details for the bilge keels and the three sets of stabilisers, and add those as well. Airfix were always hit and miss with bilge keels and this kit is one of the "misses".

Both large 4.5 inch mount bases have been removed from the forward decks, and replaced by a base for a Mark 8 single turret, and the Ikara launcher recess. I borrowed a spare piece of deck with the lined planks to fill in part of the "B Turret" hole. Hopefully it will blend in once some filler is added.

The locating ring for the foward superstructure has been trimmed back to allow the slimmer portion of the forward superstructure to lie flat on the deck. This has revealed a portion of flat deck without caulking lines but hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

Like the County class destroyers, the size of this ship implied it would be used as a cruiser in some situations and so wooden decks were fitted forward and amidships. The original deck is a reasonable match in terms of where it is lined to represent planking.

I was disappointed with the state of the anchor recesses on my kit. I've cut mine out and glued in replacements.

All the gaps in the hull plating have been filled and its all looking surprisingly good, so after a tidy up, some more filling and sanding, the hull can be completed and then it will be on to the superstructure which will be mainly scratch build although a few parts from the kit may be suitable.forum_image_651ba93db937f.thumb.png.3c065444ddcbdcfbdf438d1101b5a325.png

forum_image_651ba94a6b80f.thumb.png.6707379aca752b32a97f4aa489fe7b2c.png

Basic superstructure blocks have been started and looks like my scaling of various plans has worked as everything seems to be in proportion.

So far the following parts have been used from the original kit: hull and fittings, decks, some parts of deck-houses where they are of suitable dimensions, both masts, forward funnel. Sea Cat directors and possibly ship's boats and davits may be used, although Bristol had very unusual davits so only parts of the originals will be used if any.forum_image_651f9f4b4cc54.thumb.png.95a1cf1dd371548e1c53a487b19dbd44.png

The Sea Dart launcher is a combination of the Sea Slug Type 901 radar used as a base, and the Sea Slug launcher pivot and arm glued on top to represent the arms and rails. I created two tiny missiles complete with fins, and added some detail at the base of the launcher. It's very approximate but easy to make with the parts, so I went with it. The Limbo mortar was left over from an Airfix Leander build.forum_image_651f9f558c98e.thumb.png.c96faeb2e065f80fa56216d44d42aabb.png

The spares bin has definitely been very useful for this project, saving on some serious scratch building chores. Someone suggested I use the Leander funnel for the aft split funnels. I knew I had one but didn't expect they would be suitable, however on checking they were a perfect fit, so were split along their seam, with each half forming the outside of each of the aft funnels.

Also visible here is the scratch built 4.5 inch mark 8 mounting. I basically copied this from the same mount supplied for the HMS Amazon kit which I'm building at the same time. Comparing the two models side by side shows just how big the Type 82 needed to be to accommodate two major missile systems and command and control facilities.forum_image_652067d468b31.thumb.png.0234e381d03807b48c51878369f1fab2.png

Tis the same ship, although in this pic she has a lot of parts removed, and would be in her final config whereas I'm going for an earlier look, thus the rectangular extension on the edge of the hull plating between the funnels won't be on my model, among other differences.

That is a fine shot Ratch, and you can just see the line of the knuckle just below the forecastle deck. This approximates the fore-deck line of the Counties, so if you can picture main deck with a bit of angle amidships to give a one deck difference in the step up between the turrets, you can "see" the County class hull quite clearly in Bristol, especially if you imagine a shorter and slightly lower quarter deck where the Sea Slug launcher went. I think Bristol looks a lot more modern, so it was surprising to find how similar she was to the preceding class in many respects, and that inspired this model conversion because the hull differences weren't that great.

A few scratch built items taking shape. Left to right are:

Sea Dart, Ikara launcher, Ikara recess, Ikara hood (removable), deck house in front of Ikara, and the 4.5 inch mount still requiring some finishing detail added.

The internals of the Ikara recess have been very hard to accurately determine, so its a best guess, but looks the part with blast proof loading doors at the front end of the below decks recess.

forum_image_652488e16b57f.thumb.png.99cc1299e8d91efd13864163a4e7cf86.png

The hull is complete apart from a tidy up of the waterline and adding pennant numbers. That will be interesting, see if I can improve my stencil technique. WEM photo etch supplied the Type 965P radar which is a beast to put together. I initially glue most of it with PVA believe it or not, before wiping the joints with super glue.

The Ikara dome is in position here, but can be removed to show the Ikara launcher.

Note the interesting feature of no less than 3 sets of stabilisers on the hull.forum_image_652747c86ab46.thumb.png.24ec61819c293e1c803b037ffb464995.png

Detailing is the painful bit, scouring images to map out locations of ladders, hatches, etc.... Shown here the main mast now has most of its detail added. The funnels need intake panels and rigging points. Also not yet fitted are the stowed gangways and the life raft platforms front and rear either side. Rear decks also need various fittings such as bollards and fair leads fitted.

I've used two ship's boats from the Devonshire kit, and stolen two other spares to create the somewhat larger barges that are quite unique looking in having squared off bows.

I'm also waiting for another order of PE railing and doors to arrive so I can fit them to the deck edges and finish the paint work up to and over them.

forum_image_652a0d8c4ae44.thumb.png.72e5b3f48f8ddeaabb0c26a1cf8054fe.png

forum_image_652a0d957f58f.thumb.png.560e98a275b5cdb479f97c462cc75e0b.png

Close to finished now. I have run out of PE railing so the decks aren't painted fully to the edges, and the superstructure is just dry fitted. This will allow the railing to be glued directly to plastic, painted grey, and then the deck colour, Humbrol Matt 144, to be painted right up to the base of the railing which provides a nice clear demarcation point.

I have really enjoyed this project, to the extent that I have probably rushed it a bit too much as I love watching it unfold. Will be interesting to now repeat the exercise with another Devonshire kit built as a County class, and display them side by side.

forum_image_653075c1cd4e1.thumb.png.9e72ae8a295e7250f83b5192c26b383c.png

forum_image_653075ca2cd2e.thumb.png.655496dff6f5777c9db59d306a384d2b.png

She looks really good. You did a good job there.

Thanks. It was a very enjoyable build, although I was in a bit too much of a rush to see how it would turn out (as usual). With care this hull converts surprisingly well to a Type 82. Can't say my plans are exact, but it looks the part and I'm pretty happy with it. blush

Beautiful job Kev.

I always liked the look of HMS Bristol and you have captured it so well with your model. In 1/600th scale she is over 10 inches long and a nice size to do the kind of modification that you have so capably completed.

I look forward to your County class build and the eventual comparison!

Cheers,

Tim