“The Majestic” digital eLink set

Paul-368489

Hello all.

I have a Majestic 00 eLink set. Both locos are dcc fitted. Should I be able to use them with a dcc controller or are they dedicated to the eLink system? If so, will a change of decoder make them dcc compatible? I have tried interrogating the decoders but my controller will not read them. I have a signa trak controller.

Thank you for any help.

WATB is obviously not familiar with this set and has been misled by your incorrect terminolgy.

The locos in the Majestic Digital eLink train set are 'DCC Fitted' not DCC Ready.

For information, 'DCC Ready' locos are as WATB states, DC Analogue locos and not Digital ones. The 'Ready' just means that the loco is DC Analogue with a socket in it to allow a decoder to be fitted.

The Majestic locos have Hornby decoders in them (or should have, if not removed by someone). Nearly all decoders (including all but the very early ones) are compliant with the NMRA (National Model Rail Association) DCC standards.

NMRA Compliant decoders are compatible with NMRA Compliant DCC Controllers. Therefore they are not specific &/or dedicated to the Hornby eLink / Railmaster control system that is also NMRA Compliant.

If your Signa Trak controller is NMRA compliant then it should read & control Hornby decoders, subject to any limitations in its technical specifications.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is not your Signa Trak produced by a relatively small niche manufacturer. Is it running the current latest firmware/software?

I would expect the decoders in the Majestic set locos to be Hornby R8249 8 pin decoders which are NMRA Compliant.

Assuming NMRA Compliancy, your Signa should be able to control the decoders even if you can not read them, but to do so you need to know what DCC Address they are programmed to. Writing a value of 8 to CV8 will factory reset the decoders and revert any DCC Address that they have been given back to 03.

Can you not try using the eLink with RM to read and control them as a further test of their operability.

There are many varied reasons why a NMRA Compliant DCC Controller fails to read a NMRA Compliant decoder, but reading failures do not always automatically mean that controlling the decoder will also fail.

P.S. If you should lose visibility of your post and answers, it will be because a mod has moved your thread to the correct 'Hornby DCC' forum.

To add to this saga…

1. Depending upon the age of the set it may even have the old and unreliable R8215 decoders, which are best replaced by a better decoder. R8215 decoders cannot be read, only written.
  2. Some Majestic sets were supplied with a power track/track clip intended for analogue use and if so the capacitor found in the part must be removed as it corrupts the DCC signal. It may be blue or orange and square or round.

forum_image_651a9ec533b3d.thumb.png.1326f2aade4d42b853529bf6ad553155.png

96RAF makes a good point regarding the age of the set. If the set decoders are indeed R8215 that preceded the R8249 decoders. Then that would explain why your Signa controller can not read them. R8215 decoders should be treated as being 'bin fodder'.

Hello and thank you for your lengthy reply.

The decoders fitted are said to be NMRA compliant, are 8 pin and as fitted from new but I don’t know the product number. I believe the set may be 4 years or more old. The person who I got the set from did say he couldn’t get it to work from new. Why he didn’t take it back to the shop, I don’t know.

My controller is, I believe, from a relatively small niche company, as you said but I don’t know if the software is up to date, I shall do some research but it does read and write to all my other decoders.

I am reluctant to try the elink option as I am not at all computer literate and do struggle sometimes with the dcc operating system, lol.

Thanks again, Paul

See if your controller can read cv1, cv7 and cv8. If so please report back the values. That will tell us what the decoder is. Just checking but are you setting up your controller correctly for programming - for instance does it have a separate programming output to a separate piece of track.

If the eLink CD has been loaded onto a PC and the key code has been used then it is dead, you have to buy a new one, but you can still try out the demo just to confirm the eLink works and to see if you can read back info about the decoder. Loading Rail-master demo should be done from the link in the Railmaster section sticky post rather than from the `cD as that will be well out of date. There is a load of helpful info in the RM sticky posts that should get you up and running. Be aware the demo is time limited (90 days) and after that it is input a valid key code or quit.

The decoders in your Majestic locos are definitely R8249 not the older 8215s. The set is closer to 10 yrs old but quite a while after the 8249s came out.

These decoders meet the NMRA spec and so will work with other compliant DCC controllers.

RAF is also correct about some sets coming with the wrong power track so well worth checking as the locos are likely to not work properly if that capacitor is still connected. Check, remove if found then check your controller again.

If the locos work with eLink/RM (Railmaster) and not your controller, it will most likely be your controller non-compliant.

If Yelrow should happen to post on this topic, dwell on his every word as Majestic was his first DCC experience. Took him a while to get the hang of it but a very competent and experienced DCC user now (even if a little conservative - me, update RM to latest, not likely, even though latest has been out for over 12 months and is shown to be robust and without bugs. Let’s give it another 12 to be sure!).

When Hornby first released the eLink, Majestic and another set were produced using it. They have not produced any further such sets since. It is fair to say that this set was a challenge for new DCC/RM users to get going and so led to a lot of topics appearing here and in the RM forum.

i have this set. There is nothing wrong with decoders, and it runs fine. If your controller is not up to it, a Hornby Select controller, runs them ok. You can pick one up on ebay, fairly cheaply, then you dont need elink. Set is very collectable, and was an excellent buy.

Hello and thank you for your response.

My controller does have the capability for decoder programming on a separate track or the option to program “ on the main” which I don’t use in case I should inadvertently reprogram other locos on the layout.

I will try to read the cvs you have indicated and let you know the outcome.

I will also give the elink demo a try out too. The cd will be dead, I guess, from what you tell me, as the other fella said he had tried the system on his computer.

Thanks for your help, Paul.

The CD in itself does not die if used, only the licence key code, however the CD will be well out of date, hence use the latest version via the download link.

Programming on the main (PoM) is a write only process and fairly safe as you have to specify the target decoder by its address then send the PoM write commands only to that address.

Service track programming however is a broadcast service so anything on the programming track gets the message. People have been known to connect the layout track to Prog and that is when it goes awry.

Paul, have you simply tried running either loco, on 03. Thats what they are both set to, when new. If you try them one at a time, their wont be a problem. I never changed one of mine. Moving on, changing cv, on elink for first time, is a tad challenging, you may find it easier with your controller.

Returning to the original question which says unable to read the decoders. I wouldn’t worry about that. What I would do is write 8 to CV8 to reset the decoders to default. Then see if they individually run on the default 03 address.

In fact, you could also try them on 03 prior to reset in case the previous owner never got as far as changing them.

PS. You should give each a new address, unlike Yelrow. That way, when you get a third loco, 03 is available to test it on before you change that one too, ready for the fourth.

i have 13 dcc locos and took the conservative view that i would never run them all at once. On that basis, i kept one on 03, to remind myself how to change cv, via RM, if necessary, and also that i could well part with set, if prices continue to go through the roof.

Hello again,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I did as you suggested re trying to read the cvs that you indicated but still cannot get any response from either of the loco decoders.

However, I did buy a DC plug to try in place of the decoders just to check that the loco wiring and motors are ok. This did confirm that the locos will run on DC, which I am pleased about, so I’m still not knowing if the decoders are faulty or if my controller isn’t compatible so have decided to use the set in DC mode for the time being, as I don’t want to be buying new decoders at this stage without being sure of a positive result. I have found that there are updates available for my controller so will see if I can instal the updates before deciding what to do next.

Thank you for your help.

best regards, Paul.

Hello to you all,

To all of you that made suggestions as to how to resolve my problem with these locos, I have now found that they will run on DC with a DC plug replacing the decoders so I am leaving them in DC mode for the time being. If I ever get them running in DCC mode I will let you know.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions p.

Best regards, Paul