A bit of inspiration for something different

Rana Temporia

On the back of WATB's look back at the L&MR..... Recently I finally managed to get to the Rhyl Miniature Railway 'Anything Goes' gala which was great. When I was young the miniature railways were something I always looked forward to and I can still remember having a ride on the one at Rhyl even though it originally closed in 1969 so I can't have been more than four. I think this is the first time that all the original steam locos have been assembled in one place? I found it hard to eventually drag myself away.

I also remember the Fenlow diesels at Prestatyn or Ffrith which reminded me of my Big Big Train Hymek and I believe both are still running in the South of England and were an attempt by Ian Allan to get into the miniature railway market.

I have seen a model railway based on miniature railway practice, an oval of track and trains tail-chasing. There are lots of prototype examples. maybe something to consider? Then of course there are 'real' railways with miniature stock like the Ravenglass and Eskdale which provided all the services of a full size railway for many years.

forum_image_651c674c5298c.thumb.png.091d2e649a51ee2fae9fb78da6a3149d.pngforum_image_651c675847350.thumb.png.6291f3d83f354c50fd6fa27b5038dee7.pngforum_image_651c6764278ff.thumb.png.9abc555afe50258c37aa2623b6e879d3.pngforum_image_651c67707b287.thumb.png.1e94942ab3a5b1d190f46ecab319cb52.pngforum_image_651c677c1d47d.thumb.png.9797c224d5e35d05dfb14da3350dcdb3.png

There is nothing like genuine live steam. Once it gets to 7¼" gauge, the locomotives are magnificent.

I follow a channel called "The Steam Workshop", where live steam British outline locomotives are built and maintained

https://youtube.com/@TheSteamWorkshop

Take a look at the videos list. It is truly a sight to behold. The Steam Workshop is also in the process of restoration of a full size Fowler steam engine.

Another live steam locomotive that truly is my cup of tea is here:

I won't tell you what it is, you will have to look for yourself.

I have looked into buying, but swiftly realized that these are incredibly expensive if you want to purchase a completed locomotive, ready to run.

Builds can take a very long time. A decade in the workshop, on your own, is not unheard of, and you still need to buy the machines.

Result? I look on with envy, noting I will likely never have one.

Bee

I remember the funfair and miniature railway at Rhyl from the late 1950s and 1960s when Rhyl was a proper seaside resort and when we had many happy holidays at Palin's caravan park. There were also numerous small attractions along the promenade, including a paddling pool and roller skating and cycling rinks.

It's several years since I last visited Rhyl, but the town had become very seedy following the failure and dismantling of several schemes including the sky tower and monorail and the location of the funfair was just a wasteland.

Does anyone recall the miniature steam railway that ran along Colwyn Bay promenade from the pier to Eirias Park? I think the fare was 6d (6 old pence).

I recall with great fondness a footplate ride (if one can describe a miniature loco as having a footplate) the full length of the Ravenglass and Eskdale when I was about 12. I imagine that such a thing would be impossible these days (Health and Safety) but at the time it was a great thrill. IIRC loco's name was River Irt.

Does anyone recall the miniature steam railway that ran along Colwyn Bay promenade from the pier to Eirias Park? I think the fare was 6d (6 old pence).

No, but there was one at New Brighton Fair Ground that my mum took me on a couple of times. Marvellous!

@BM

I don't remember the steam railway at New Brighton (it wasn't somewhere that we visited that often as we mainly holidayed in North Wales) but I do remember the two magnificent sets of Gallopers that were in an indoor amusement place (New Palace/Adventureland I think t's now called?). Sadly they aren't there any more.

There were two Fair Grounds in NB. One is the indoor Palace that you mention, the other was the outdoor Fair Ground which closed in the early 70s and it had the miniature railway running round its perimeter.

When you say, 'Gallopers' Do you mean the glorious Hobby Horse Merry-go-rounds? If so, though I could be wrong as I haven't been in there for a long time, but I think one of them is still there.

Did the one at Colwyn Bay use one of the Tri-ang Minic locos? I can vaguely remember a ride alongside the road but I don’t think the railway was there very long. There was also an American outline one at Ffrith for a few years after the Fenlow diesels had departed that ran round a large oval and had a tunnel with ‘Mind your Noggin’ on it. I don’t think Noggin is a very Welsh term but I may be wrong.

Unfortunately I have the same experiences of Rhyl which is why I hadn’t been for a very long time. I think the last time I had been there was a day visit when my kids were young, probably around 1990. After that visit I was in no hurry to go back, it seems a bit more friendly now.

Just a thought - Anyone wanting to model a miniature railway could use Hornby OO models to represent a 15" gauge prototype like the RH&DR at 1:22. perhaps using a Flying Scotsman with a new bogie tender and smoke box door to represent Southern Maid. Figures and other platform fittings would then be available from G scale providers.

The older Triang models with their coarser wheel standards might be a good choice for something like this.

81F. You read my mind! I had already been looking at some of the figures available at that scale. The book on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway by W J K Davies has scale drawings of all the locos and Smallbrook Studios had some bodies to fit the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis based on one of the Heywood locos (genuine narrow gauge on 15” as opposed to the more common miniature locos). On the R&ER ~River Esk was actually built as a heavy goods loco to move granite trains but in keeping with the miniature appearance of the other steam locos.