Loco DCC fitted causing short circuit fault ?

Kel-368803

Guys, forgive me if this has surfaced before..... So I brought a loco Richard 2nd dcc fitted sound second hand. Just to try it out , I've put out some track, using digital control R8213, supply P9100W. Soon as I attempt to put train on track readout starts flashing 11 at me. I had it running fine before any ideas ?

The Select is constantly rebooting as a result of a short, which indicates the loco is faulty and requires investigation.

Of note 11 means your Select is well out of date (version 1.1) and it could actually damage any accessory decoders you have that operate points or signals (R8247). Please do not use it to operate those accessories.

You are advised to contact Hornby to arrange to have the Select updated to v1.6 for a cost of £15 which makes it a much better controller.

I strongly advise that you heed 96RAFs advice and that you get your 1.1 Select upgraded to version 1.6.

Note that with the 1.6 upgrade installed, the way you use the Select (what buttons you press and in what order to do things) will completely change.

You therefore need to download the version 1.5 Select Manual PLUS the 1.6 Manual Addendum to learn how to use the Select and its new features.

The 1.5 Manual

R8213 Select DCC Controller – Hornby Support

The 1.6 Manual Addendum

R8213 Select DCC Controller - Version 1.6 and 2.0 addendum – Hornby Support

Version 1.5 adds support for all functions up to F28 and 1.6 adds the ability to write to all CVs up to CV255. Neither of which is supported in your version 1.1 Select.

Good advice about the Select upgrade.

As to the actual problem: I presume you're referring to the Castle Class loco "King Richard II" ?

Do you know if the loco is factory-fitted DCC & sound, does it have a plug-in DCC sound decoder or has it been hard-wired by a previous owner? You say it's worked fine in the past - was that on DC or DCC? Are you able to test it on DC?

Could something have come loose and be causing the short?

If you can't resolve it then I suggest the loco needs checking over by someone familiar with servicing models and who can diagnose and rectify the short circuit. It's probably something simple.