Masking problems

Currently making Airfix Hawker Hunter 1:48 scale. Painting using Humbrol Acrylics. Got really smooth underside of fuselage using 10 coats of thinned metallic 11. When fully dried masked this to paint upper in 164. Upon removing masking tape found much of the metallic 11 has come away revealing bare plastic. Is this normal for acrylic paint or could it have happened with enamels? If I’d primed the base plastic would the acrylic have adhered better?

I use the small humbrol acrylic pots that come with starter sets and humbrol enamel tins also used revell acrylic and enamels and vallejo model air, never primed a kit yet but i do give them a wash in warm soapy water first then rinse in warm water and let them air dry for a day.

I do let the acrylic / enamel paint dry for a day or so before masking ( but im a slow builder i can go over a week without touching it). what did you use for masking it off, i use tamiya and the model craft collection masking tape and not had a problem with these pulling the paint off

paul