Ferret Figures

John-370567

I had thought about trying a couple of figures from the Tamiya Chieftain tank. It's a really cheap kit that's been around for years and only costs a quid or two more than a typical new figure set these days. It comes with three crew. The commander is depicted with a hand held microphone so he's suitable for vehicles up to the late seventies.

Fit problems shouldn't be too bad for the commander because he's often seated on the open turret hatch that puts him almost entirely outside of the vehicle. The seat for the driver can be modified for more space if required because the seat in the real vehicle has a wide range of adjustment. Modifications would have to be made to each figure but I don't think that would be too difficult.

Ferret and Chieftain would make a good diorama.

Other figure sets from different periods would be suitable, the Ferret was in service for forty years. Late war figures in the light khaki tank suit would be ok because it was worn for many years and it's replacement in the seventies looked similar but was made from cheap green plastic. The old tank helmet was worn until the late seventies. After that time the headsets on the new Clansman radios were too bulky to allow the helmet to fit over.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Checking out the Hannants website over the weekend I noticed they have some interesting future figure releases that are compatible with the Airfix Ferret. There are several resin Ferret crewmen from the 60's and 70's from the firm of 'Flightpath UK' and some new decals from 'Star Decals'. Along with various detailing sets that are becoming available the kit seems to have become really popular already.