ESU 21 : Have I blown it?

candishtowers

So, failrly new to DCC, went along to the recent show in Milton Keynes and bought a shiny new ESU Lokpilot Decoder, to put in my shiny new loco - cost a hefty £34, but hey?

Anyway, ran the train on DC, Ok, and then put in the ESU 21 Lokpilot. Nothing.

So, I put the chip on my ESU decoder tester, the 2 green lights come up as they should on the tester, but as soon as I try to read the chip, the reader “Error” message appears and the controller and board shut down.

Think I’ve goosed the Lokpilot to be honest - would this be a reasonable assumption or is there any other test I can do to see if it’s “KAPUT’ or not? Cheers.

So what type of decoder is it 21 pin, 8 pin or one of the others? Generally when I blow one up they smoke, sounds like yours hasn't. If it is a 21 pin then it is very difficult to blow them up, if it is 8 pin a lot easier. It could be that the decoder was duff from the beginning I had one that didn't work properly. Has this decoder got "stay alive" that can cause issues when trying to read. I need to know what type it is?

Ok I Googled it, it is 21 pin very difficult to blow up. So either yours was already broken or it is something simple like fitting it with one pin out. Check to see if you have fitted it correctly it is easy to get them one pin out and think they are on properly, I did exactly that yesterday and couldn't figure why it didn't work. Of course if you managed to fit it upside down and one pin out you could kill it but I doubt you did that. Favorite is it was duff when you bought it, if you haven't smelt burning.

A DCC decoder ‘powered’ loco will not run on DC if the relevant CV setting has been factory disabled to prevent a runaway scenario.

Have you verified that you’ve installed the decoder the correct way up/round?

Is the reader/controller you are using part of the tester? (If not what reader/controller are you using?)

Generally on new decoders the disable DC running CV is usually not set. I must admit I have had issues with ESU decoders, the sound ones are ok, but the normal decoders don't always seem to work that well. Anyway I assume he is testing on DCC otherwise why buy a decoder.

Might I just summarise what I’m reading here, including some questions for clarification:

• the loco runs fine on DC - Candish, please confirm that you mean out of the box, DCC ready with blanking plate on a DC controller
  • with the decoder fitted, the loco doesn’t work - Candish, please confirm using a DCC controller (which one?)?
  • or are you trying to run it DC with decoder (in which case it is important to know if it comes with DC running disabled or not from the factory)?
  • the decoder appears ok (green lights) with the ESU tester but results in error and shutdown attempting to read CVs
  • it is possible to install 21-pin decoders from either side of the connector. Has it been installed from the correct side?
  • and regarding sides, can someone answer whether it matters in the loco or the tester which side it is installed from? Will only one side work, or both?

…some questions for clarification:
  • and regarding sides, can someone answer whether it matters in the loco or the tester which side it is installed from? Will only one side work, or both?

The 21 pin decoder plug/socket has a missing pin & corresponding blanked off hole to indicate the correct installation orientation/side in each specific instance.

Every installation needs to be carefully assessed - since both orientations/sides are technically allowed under NMRA specs & therefore used in different circumstances.

If installed incorrectly - it won’t function correctly.

Well I’ve learnt a lot reading all this. Thank you. Tried everything-nothing works. Can’t remember which stall at the show I bought it from either so I’ll put it down to experience. I suppose I could send it off to ESU in Germany, but it may be good money after bad doing that!