Layout reengergization

ModelerXYZ

Hi Everyone.

Due to the annoyance of having to walk across the room to change points, I am considering returning to DCC operation. I know I need to get a new Elite, (mine doesn't work properly).

The DCC world has changed a lot since the last time I used it. Are there any hints/tips that might make things better. I already know I have to chip my locos, and the like. I have quite a few already chipped, or I unchipped them and blank plated them keeping the original decoders. Unfortunately it means Thomas the tank engine will have to leave... I also have some DCC ready locos that will be easily chipped. Any hints/tips?

XYZ

If you have a number of (unspecified) reasons for wanting to adopt DCC, then I certainly wouldn’t wish to dissuade you.

However your post implies that DCC is required to enable remote operation of points - which isn’t accurate.

There are many methods:

• Manual - e.g. wire-in-tube, or pulleys & cord/fishing line/wire.

• DC & point motors - e.g. with passing contact switches, or stud & probe, or push buttons.

• Wireless DC & point motors - e.g. HM6010 Bluetooth accessory controller.

• DCC with accessory decoders & point motors.

All of the above can operate points entirely independent from whatever control method you currently use to operate your locos & power your track.

Just to add to what has already been said, especially with regard to point operation. My layout is DCC and I use the Hornby Elite (v.1.45). My points are Peco electrofrog and are operated by DCC Concepts Cobalt iP Digital point motors, that are wired for both DCC operation via the Elite, but also toggle switch operation. The toggle switch (sprung to centre On-Off-On) is by far the quickest method. I set them up for DCC operation just to see whether I could - and I did!. To keep costs down, you could just set-up the points furthest from you when running your layout.