A04066 Me410 Build Review

Ratch

I returned to step 56 and fitted the undercarriage and then the propellers and pitot tube. I used Aeroclub Rigging Thread for the aerial wires and then sprayed Vallejo matt varnish. The final task was to remove the masking from the transparencies.

53373174478_90bc363d5d_c.jpg

To conclude, this kit goes together very well. Care must be taken with the small parts, like the guns and aerials. It is best to leave them off until the end of the build or risk breaking them or losing them to the Carpet Monster. It was pointed out to me that the nose glazing should not be overpainted, as the instructions seem to indicate. As usual, it is the modeller’s choice how they wish to portray the aircraft, but I can recommend this kit. I’m sure it will make many people happy. I’d like to thank Airfix for giving me the opportunity to build this cracking kit.

They went on really well. I left them to soak until they were floating off the backing paper. The spinners were soaked in DecalFix and they were transferred. They went on lovely. There is a little cut-out for a propeller - I made sure that lined up and the rest was easy.

• 2 months later...

Impressive building Ratch.  By contrast, of the 200 Airfix kits I’ve built since Covid and retirement - yes I’m now able to devote almost full time to scale modelling - this would rank in my top 10 of worst kits, bringing Airfix’s contingent up to 3 of these.

I’ve found the wing to fuselage fit to be  quite poor, and it’s subjective as to whether one wants to blame the modeller or kit here, as the fit is still off 😂

The canopy arrangement, in my view, is an abomination. Too many close fitting sprue ends, and an unnecessary multi part affair reminding me of the old Airfix Storch kit! (Actually, I’d forgotten the Storch until now … so this actually makes the Me410 the 4th Airfix kit in my infamous top 10). 🤦‍♂️ 

I think it may just be a case of me not liking over engineered kits. MiniArt have a passion for using 4 parts where just one would have done and I can’t help feel that’s what’s going on here. I guess you can’t please everyone and for just 4 of 200 to have displeased this scale modeller isn’t that bad 😉

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve finally finished my latest and perhaps longest build I’ve ever tackled. I started my  Airfix Messerschmitt Me410A back in January as a commission for a local scale model collector of WW2 Luftwaffe aircraft. It’s interesting to be posting this after an exchange I’ve just had on the RNLI lifeboat and how kits to some are easy while to others not so. To say this 410 has to me been a challenging build would be an understatement. I usually manage to complete a kit in 1-2 weeks, this has been on my bench for 7. I’m so glad to finally get it over the line!

I ended up having to paint the white fuselage stripe, the supplied decals never seem to be opaque enough to give consistent coverage and the white spiral decal on the spinners, for some reason just didn’t work for me, no amount of soaking in decal fix would make it lie flat, ending in it getting all puckered! So this I also ended up painting. I also got through 2 canopies, the first splintered removing it from the sprue, but Airfix support was excellent in replacing this for me. That said, for me the canopy, with its 3 parts and excessive sprue attachments is the worst design point of the kit and had it not been a commission, I would definitely have consigned it to the bin! 

At my customer’s request, I completed this in the colours of aircraft, CC+3U WNr.420292, which flew with the Luftwaffe’s Stab II./Zerstörergeschwader 26 unit based in Konigsberg during 1944. The Me410, as an operational replacement for the Me110, was found to be relatively successful flying against the USAAF daylight bombers over Germany in the latter stages of the war. Although I did read that aiming its 50mm canon, as used on the Panzer III, was not that easy, if it managed a hit there wouldn’t be much left of its target! Check out the kill markings I’ve also added to the canon. This was apparently a practice adopted by some crews probably to imitate the Panzer crews with whom they shared the canon!

IMG_0813.jpeg

• Like 2