Using Accessory Decoder With Relays

Rick-372992

Yes - see here for details which also includes manual switching and use of a CDU. Image shows rotary switches and push buttons but any manual switching can be deployed in lieu.

forum_image_655cbf17dadcd.png.89fdebc3cc959d495f668571551d466e.png

Also have a read of this where I look at using various relay modules with an acc decoder. Be aware the notations on the images could be better (another round tuit job).

http://www.halton96th.org.uk/relay-module.html

If you intend to use the relays to switch a constant load then set the acc decoder ports to always on. Obviously not if you intend to fire solenoid points.

Two of the 8 relays will need to be used per R8247 port.

The operate coil of relay 1 would wire to the R8247 port 1 C & + terminals.

The operate coil of relay 2 would wire to the R8247 port 1 C & - terminals.

The operate coil of relay 3 would wire to the R8247 port 2 C & + terminals.

The operate coil of relay 4 would wire to the R8247 port 2 C & - terminals.

Etc

Thus operating R8247 port 1 for right & left would operate Relays 1 & 2 and operating R8247 port 2 for right & left would operate Relays 3 & 4

The four C terminals of the R8247 are commoned together internally and is a permanent positive DC polarity. The + & - terminals on the R8247 are both switched negative polarity, including the + terminal which is not denoting positive.

Note this though.

The default output for the R8247 is pulse output. This will pulse the relays. If you need the relays to lock on, you will need to configure the R8247 port for 'always on'.

The default pulse configuration would be ideal to use the relay board relay contacts to operate Solenoid points using a traditional external CDU point operating solution. This is the function of my relays used with my R8247s to overcome the weak internal CDU output of the R8247. I am also using Railmaster.

EDIT: 96RAF posted whilst I was still typing mine.

P.S Using 'All Capitals' in forum etiquette is considered 'shouting' and should be avoided if possible. You might consider trying to edit your thread title via the 3 dot edit menu option, that is if a mod doesn't edit it for you in the meantime.

Mod Edit: ‘tis done