PROBLEM READING CV'S WITH A BRAND NEW ELITE

Hi all

I have recently had to purchase a new Elite as the old one was beyond repair, On arrival I disconnected the old one and replaced it with the new, nothing else was changed. It works fine on loco and points control but when i tried to read cv's, it reads cv1 only. Have I done something wrong or could the new unit be faulty

regards

steamfreak

Assuming you are reading back direct using the Elite from a decoder that can be read from on a programming track attached to the Elite PROG terminals and not using Railmaster. If using RM then the following can be used as an alternative check.

Following these button presses - Menu > Loco > Direct > CV > enter number > Read. Red led will flash a bit and you will either get the CV value or XXX which means the value cannot be read.

To read an address, simply select Address instead of CV and either read or write. If you write a short address it will go in CV1 - if you write a long address Elite will calculate the values to go in CVs 17/18. Read-back of address will return what you wrote.

What CV reading range is set in the 'Set CV Range Box' in the top right corner of the CV Reading / Writing panel. It may be set to only read CV1....

Could you do us all a favour and try to delete your multiple dupicates via the 3 dot menu in your duplicate posts.

As I said use the Elite direct programming method which will prove the Elite is working then revert to finding out why RM isn’t doing it. It could be as simple as Paul suggests.

Whilst we are in ‘how to use the forum’ advice mode please be aware that typing in capitals is considered to be shouting and not proper forum etiquette.

There is a sticky post in the General section that has many tips for relatively new users. Definitely worth a read.

HI
I had already changed the box to read cv 1 to 29, that is when i discovered it was only reading cv1. i will try the sequence again but it will have to be tomorrow.
regards
steamfreak

Change it to read CVs 1-255 before trying again, but as I said prove the Elite by reading back outwith RM those CVs that you know must hold a value like 3 and 4 and 29.

Hi RAF69 and paul

after a brief test this morning, I am pleased to report the following ;-

using the elite on its own i read values on several cv's

using elite and railmaster, changing the box to read 1 to 255 ,I started to get multiple reading of cv's. As it would have taken over one hour to read all 255 I exited after approx 40 were read

I think with your helpful assistance the problem is solved

best regards

steamfreak

You should be able to swap the eLink with the Elite, amend the baud rate, etc and get the same read-back.

However as Paul has suggested and as per my own setup, you can have Elite as Controller A running trains on the track bus and the eLink as Controller B operating points, signals, etc on a separate accessory bus.

I suggest that the issue was a temporary glitch. By amending the read range from CV1 - CV255 you cleared the glitch. I would not be surprised if changing the range back to CV1 - CV29 also now worked.

P.S. 96RAFs reference to me relating to dual controllers, was something I posted in another different recent thread to this one.