NER rtr please !!!!

rayarpino

The more senior among us will remember the J72 "Joem" produced well before this forum existed by a long defunct manufacturer.

I believe it was the only RTR engine in NER livery every to be produced.

So please, please could Hornby consider the production

of a NER-liveried engine. There could be LNER and BR versions of it anyway.

So what about an Atlantic, which would be a first for any company anyway, like Raven's Z class (clean, simple elegant lines and no intricate valve gear) or the same chief engineer's

A2, one of Britain's first pacifics. Or one of the heavy goods engines. Thank you in anticipation, Hornby.

Hi Rayarpino

At last, another person calling for some NER locos. No longer am I a little lone voice in the wilderness.

I'm not too bothered about the Atlantic, although it would be nice, or the Raven Pacific. However I'd be near the head

of the queue for a Q6(forgive the pun) whilst I'd also like a J21, which I'd prefer to the J27, Also would it be greedy if I ask for an A8, B16, G5 and a D20, (the D20 really would look nice in NER livery)??? They would certainly stamp the NER identity on

any layout.

The blue box company are currently having a good go at the Great Central - maybe the NER will be next.

However, I wouldn't want to upset the GWR fans, after all there are something like three of their types which haven't been made

so they're feeling 'hard done by'!!!

I think all we can do is dream.

It is a source of wonder to me too that the NER which is the fourth largest of the pre-grouping companies (after the LNWR, GWR and Midland) is so badly represented in model form.

The LNWR is perhaps the most neglected, with only one locomotive,

the GWR and Midland do somewhat better, but the NER has only had the J72 and that is often sold as a BR built version. (Joem is a preservation era model).

There has been of course a tendency in the past to manufacture post-Grouping types and BR Standards,

but the tide is turning, so more variety is possible.

Have you completed the new model request questionnaire?

Whilst I too would love some North Eastern locomotives and stock, how about some more from North of the Border. As apart from the Caledonian Single 123 and Pug there are on locos from the North British or Highland Railways to mention but two. So how about

an NBR Atlantic or Highland Jones Goods 103? Of course there's also the Glasgow & South Western and Great North of Scotland Railways in the North East [round Aberdeen] and South West [round Ayr & Stranrear].

Yes LC&DR I have completed the form. Must add that at this point I'd actually be happy with any NER engine (including an electric though some are available in kit form). Then another question looms of course. Would Hornby also grace us with some NER coaches,

mainline and suburban, which could also be made available in post grouping liveries....

But to paraphrase a certain Home Guard captain, I may be "entering the realms of fantasy here...."

Well Rayarpino you can do no more than hope, and rest assured you have a friend in Postman Prat too.

I model the LC&DR (as you might guess from my sign on) and rtr models for that are like rocking horse manure. I therefore base my time frame in

the mid 20th Century, so I can find post Grouping and post Nationalisation types instead. Now a nice Kirtley 'Bobtail' or M3 would do me fine, but I guess I would wait until the sun freezes.

rayarpino said:

The more senior among us will remember the J72 "Joem" produced well before this forum existed by a long defunct manufacturer.
I believe it was the only RTR engine in NER livery every to be produced.
So please, please

could Hornby consider the production of a NER-liveried engine. There could be LNER and BR versions of it anyway.
So what about an Atlantic, which would be a first for any company anyway, like Raven's Z class (clean, simple elegant lines and no intricate

valve gear) or the same chief engineer's A2, one of Britain's first pacifics. Or one of the heavy goods engines. Thank you in anticipation, Hornby.

100% agree more Pre grouping Locos and Stock

Well me bonny lads and lasses, here we are....

Got an answer from the hallowed company headquarters in Margate:

They are NOT planning NER liveries for 2013.

Haven't asked the opposition yet, but then, neither of the rivals would disclose that

sort of thing now, would they. So asking is a bit pointless.

Cheers!

The North Eastern has a lot going for it. A virtual monopoly of Northumberland, Durham, and North Riding of Yorkshire, three massive counties. Tentacles embracing deep into the West Riding, Cumberland and Westmoreland, and over the border into Scotland.

Embraced the first railways ever to be built, and a share of the fastest route from London to Scotland.

The locomotives were right hand drive and many had steam operated reversers, they pioneered the use of hopper wagons for coal. The best heritage

railway in the world is located in North Eastern territory, on the route of the old 1836 Whitby and Pickering Railway.

I rather like the Q6, shame none ever found their way south of the Thames, I am sure Faversham men would have loved a few for Kent

Coast coal trains!

Thank you for reminder LC&DR. This really puts things into perspective. And let us not forget the 1904 Tyneside electric.The NER was a pioneer in this field. So what about a NER n°1 in RTR?

Still on the subject of model engines, and moving from the

NER to the LNER (which is my other favourite company, surprize, surprize), we have been extremely well served, but essentially with mainline engines. I feel we have now had enough variations on the A1/A3/A4 themes, a real glut of them. It may make sense commercially

as these are reliveries requiring no retooling, but the scene is getting boring.

How I agree. I have been 'banging on' about the lack of common or garden loco types compared to the glamour pusseys.

The commonest locomotive type when BR was formed was undoubtedly the 0-6-0 tender engine, far outweighing in sheer numbers any

other type. Look at the Hornby catalogue and you will struggle to find any of the older types, the ones I refer to as 'long funnel'.Some examples, - J15, J21, Cauliflower, 828 and 700, and the Dean Goods is currently AWOL.

Wouln't a Fletcher "398" be nice. And although they were first built in 1874 or thereabouts, they survived in rather large numbers into LNER days, the last being withdrawn in 1928.

A (comparatively) small engine with a nice open cab to reveal all the

details, a great original livery on those elegant lines. And what a boon for modellers of Victorian railways and all those who model the LNER. Branch lines aren't the preserve of the GWR.

LC&DR, you have all my support from across the Channel. Keep a haad!

Howay the lads!

With fond memories of the North East.

• 4 weeks later...

Hornby could possibly have a go at the G5 0-4-4T. They have done a very nice job of the SR M7 0-4-4T which is very similar in shape to the G5. There is a team of railway enthusiasts who are building a new G5 in the north east of UK, so could help to fund

their work and produce a preserved edition. Released in conjunction.

That would be exciting.

I would certainly buy a couple.

Mark in OZ

brclass125 said:

Hornby could possibly have a go at the G5 0-4-4T. They have done a very nice job of the SR M7 0-4-4T which is very similar in shape to the G5. There is a team of railway enthusiasts who are building a new G5 in the north

east of UK, so could help to fund their work and produce a preserved edition. Released in conjunction.
That would be exciting.
I would certainly buy a couple.
Mark in OZ

The G5 has been suggested before, and a very good suggestion too,

but I suspect that the fact it is similar in shape to the M7 might actually go against it. The people who make these kind of decisions seem to look at different criteria to us. You might be more successful canvassing a type that was distinctive in shape (an

A8 4-6-2T perhaps, or one of the very pretty Wordsell 0-6-0s).

I have been hoping for a SE&CR 'H' for many years, but I have now completely abandoned any hope since the M7 appeared. Now if it was another version of an LNER or LMSR Pacific, that would

be different!!! Sorry to be so cynical.

One small hope, a certain West Country retailer has successfully promoted models of small local locomotive types, (and other retailers have done the same including a proposal for a Beyer Garratt!!) although not from Hornby. If there was sufficient demand

from a North East retailer there might be some opportunity to do something similar. Support your local model shop!

[reply]Postman Prat said:

Hi Rayarpino

At last, another person calling for some NER locos. No longer am I a little lone voice in the wilderness.

I'm not too bothered about the Atlantic, although it would be nice, or the Raven Pacific.

However I'd be near the head of the queue for a Q6(forgive the pun) whilst I'd also like a J21, which I'd prefer to the J27, Also would it be greedy if I ask for an A8, B16, G5 and a D20, (the D20 really would look nice in NER livery)??? They would certainly

stamp the NER identity on any layout.

The blue box company are currently having a good go at the Great Central - maybe the NER will be next.

However, I wouldn't want to upset the GWR fans, after all there are something like three of their types

which haven't been made so they're feeling 'hard done by'!!!

I think all we can do is dream.

[Yes,Yes,Yes the Q6, and you are not the only one to have posted a request, I have seen post's in the past asking for the Q6.

However, I wouldn't want to upset the GWR fans, after all there are something like three of their types which haven't been made so they're feeling 'hard done by'!!!

Now Now - that isn't kind, you know how sensitive these people can be ever

since 1892 when they cut them down to size!

By the same token there are a few others among the the great ignored. L&NWR, NBR, GER, GNR, L&YR, Metropolitan etc. etc. so you Geordie lads are in good company.

The Great Northern has or at least had a couple of machines produced at opposite ends of the scale in the form of the [LNER classification] J52 Ivatt saddle tanks of which the late Captain Bill Smith purchased 1247 part of the NRM since 1980 and Gresley

A1 1470 Great Northern in original form which is also represented at the NRM by the first production machine [in A3 form] by 1472 better known these days as 4472 Flying Scotsman. whilst the J52 has appeared in all 3 liveries GNR, LNER and BR the A1 has only

appeared in L.&.N.E.R. colours, so how about 1471 Sir Frederick Banbury the second prototype in Great Northerns colours....... Not forgetting the Modified Great Eastern B12 in LNER & BR colours, with 8572 at Sheringham.

Archived