Recommendations for a basic throttle/powercab device

Bundi

With the hours I spent getting Railmaster and eLink back up and running over the last few days, I am looking and buying a throttle to have some way of running a loco or programming quickly. Also to take with me to a club and be able to plug and play. I have about 20 locos and I only run one loco at a time and on a basic track at the moment. Most of my locos run Hornby decoders.

So what sort of throttle should I be looking at? Digitrax? NCE? Something else?

Do I have to consider what a club layout uses?

Do I need to buy a package that includes the box that interfaces between the throttle and the track or can I just use a throttle directly connected to the track?

Is the Digitrax Zypher an all in one solution that I should consider? Or is it compromised/limited?

Thanks for any suggestions you can throw my way.

To be able to plug and play at the club means you need the same kit as them, which may not be the best suit for you at home.

As you have worked hard at getting RM up and running, there is little choice of controllers that are compatible and you already have one, with John suggesting the only other one.

With DCC, only ONE track power hardware controller device can be connected to a layout at any one time. Thus the earlier comment made by 96RAF still stands. Your options are totally dependant upon what DCC Controller system is installed on the club layout.

Some, but not all, can support the connection of hand held throttles, so if the club controller doesn't support hand held throttles then there is nothing you could do, as any DCC Controller you took with you could not be connected to the club layout track whilst their own controller was still powering their layout.

Note also, that 'hand held throttles' are not interchangeable. Assuming the club layout DCC Controller supports 'hand held throttles', they would have to be the same brand as the club controller and be compatible models.

Now if all your locos had Bluetooth TXS decoders fitted (which they don't according to your posted threads), then that would be a completely different ball game. Your locos could be powered by the club layout DCC track power, but you could use the Hornby HM | DCC APP to control them on your own personal Apple IOS or Android phone / tablet completely independently from the club layout DCC Controller.

Surely, the first thing you need to do, is approach the club you have in mind to join and talk to the club organisers and let them guide you with regard what your options are. For one thing, they may have a policy that prevents non club owned controllers being connected, so that they have complete control of it to protect the members own locos etc.