issues writing cv's and addresses with hornby elite

Trainman1974

hi all,

Im currently having issues writing cv's and loco addresses to decoders from a hornby elite controller, the firmware version is 1.45, im placing the loco on my programming track which is seperate from my main layout, when I try and read/write cv's or loco addresses the loco lights flash to say it read/write to the decoder but when I place the loco back onto the main layout it still has the default cv's and hasnt written the new ones.

any thoughts of how I can get around this or the cause of the issues, the decoders I tried programming are ESU decoder and a Hornby R8249 8 pin decoder could it be just the decoders at fault or do decoders have a write protection on them that prevents overwrite?

Two suggestions:

1 - Make sure track, wheels and pickups are clean as that is the route for the signals to travel.

2 - Some decoders need a bit more ‘oomph’ to program successfully and the programming track delivers a lower rating than the outlet to the layout. The solution to this is to program on main. This can be done with the loco (clean track etc) on the layout and using the appropriate settings on the Elite - you will need to refer to the manual for specific instructions.

This solution worked for me, it may do for you.

The current output of the Elite 'PROG' output is very low. I found with my Elite that over time the lack of current allowed the Elite 'PROG' output spring terminal contact area to become dull and/or tarnished. This also included the bared wires used to connect the Elite to the programming track.

I used a thin sliver of abrasive paper and trapped it under the spring terminals then moved it back and forth (using my finger to relieve some of the spring pressure first to allow the abrasive paper to move) turn the paper over or fold it in half in order to clean both sides of the contacts. This cleaned the contacts back to a shiny condition. To supplement this, I stripped back some insulation on the program track wires to restore clean shiny wires again (do this even if they visibly look OK). With these tasks completed full read/write reliability, for me, was restored. I first saw this TIP published in forum by the late mod Chrissaf, it worked for him and I found it worked for me too.

I have just been looking at a reported problem reading back from a Lenz decoder (ancient v1 Silver/Gold) and as a comparator I used a R8249 equipped loco and an equally ancient Uhlenbrock decoder. Read-back was not 100% on either but better on some than others. So far, no positive conclusion that the Elite v1.45 can or cannot program correctly. Work in progress.

Paul, as soon as you started with the sliver, you brought Chris to mind for me. We owe him more than the rest of us have contributed between us.

Many replies I write, are based upon remembering his copiously detailed responses, many of which I have bookmarked to refer to. He was my go to guru for practical & technical knowledge, particularly Railmaster. I sorely miss his contributions on this forum.

Unfortunately much of his valuable diagrams were lost when the forum was last updated and despite Hornby declaring they are working hard to recover lost images there is little hope this will ever happen. Nor were we able to gain access to his private work, before it was taken down by his family.