Hornby Accessory Decoder Set up

ModelerXYZ

Hi everyone.

I run digital with an elite. I have a problem with 2 Hornby R8247 decoders. They should be addressed as 9-12 and 13-16. the R8247 with addresses 5-8 is working fine. The decoder 17-20 is as well, and so is the NCE decoder 21. These 2 decoders won't accept their numbers when connected to a programming output. The red light on the elite flashes, goes red for a couple of seconds and hasn't changed the adress. The associated points then won't change by motor either. What is happening and how can I fix the problem?

XYZ

You can try resetting the two R8247s by writing 8 to CV8. See page 60 of the Elite 1.4x manual for writing to R8247 CVs. I have fixed a corrupted R8247 configuration using this method (but this was not your specific documented issue).

Note that if the reset is successful, the addresses will be reverted back to 1-4 and will need to be changed back to your preferred addresses after being first tested on 1-4.

P.S. I assume that 9012 is a typo and should have read 9-12.

Mod note - typo corrected and title also amended.

Thanks Paul and RAF. On your suggestion I tried changing CV8 to 8. The controller flashed it's red light twice and then went back to normal. It then didn't work on the defult adress either. When I tried to read the addresses after programming (or rather attempting to) I just get XXX displayed. Are the decoders broken?

XYZ

• 2 weeks later...

When your new one arrives prove it by checking it responds to port addresses 1 to 4 before doing anything else with the addresses.

If the new one plays up then we know the problem is not the device, but the programming control side.

In RM are you using Elite or eLink as your controller and working it from Cont A, as Cont B cannot program.

Hi RAF.

The brand new decoder works perfectly. In RM I use my Elite as controller A. I can't afford a second one for controller B, so thats empty though I do have a walkabout select connected to the elite for the purpose of a control that is closer when I am at the other end of my layout (near the points I want to control)

XYZ

Xyz

Great that the new acc decoder works, thus proving the other(s) are duff.

By any chance had you been operating your points with the Select at v1.1 as that had a bug which damaged R8247/8216 modules.

Keep an eye out for a second hand eLink as they can be cheap as chips without a valid RM licence. You could run that as Cont B purely for points and signals, but it has to be a separate bus.

Select Walkabout is ideal, except you have to accord with its 1-59 addressing for locos and 61 to 99 for points if you want to operate everything by remote.

When would select 1.1 have been active? Before I got my current Elite, I hadn't used the decoders since i gave up on digital in 2016. I had an elite before, definately an early model because it had 2 expressnet ports.I did use DCC for a while between 2011 and 2016, though my controller was mainly the Elite (though I got the select first). As my loco numbers only go up to 31 the loco numbers aren't a problem. Yes, there must be some duffers. Is it possible to update the firmware on the select?

XYZ

V1.1 is very early days in the Select life. At power up you see three numbers appear XX then 30 the 03. XX is the version e.g. 11 for v1.1.

To get it updated to v1.6 (16-30-03) call Hornby for a returns number before sending. There is a cost of around £15 plus you pay postage to them and they pay for the return trip. It is well work getting the update done as it allows use of all functions F0-F28 as well as being able to write to CVs.