(Solved) -Which DCC chip to plug into a R3555 LATE BR 4-6-2 '46256' PRINCESS CORONATION CLASS 'SIR WILLIAM A. STANIER F.R.S' aO GAUG

wapples

Hi have had this model

R3555

LATE BR 4-6-2'46256'

PRINCESS CORONATION CLASS

'SIR WILLIAM A. STANIER F.R.S'

aO GAUG

sitting in its box new and sealed for several years. Now layout is functioning it’s time to bring it into service. It’s DCC ready but what would be the best chip to pop into it. I know a lot of tech has changed in recent years so what would be the best investment for a smooth QUIET operation. It’s a superb runner in analogue but let’s get it digital. All advice warmly received.

OP

ANE LC201

Grab this from my local supplier. He also happened to have in stock, the basic Hornby and the Hornby sapphire. I'm more than happy to pay the extra but he insisted this was the chip to get. He does a lot of repairs and restorations on many many locomotives in the area and he is a rather talented electronic engineering specializing in more complex matters but his interest, of course comes back to Model Railway, and he loves what he does. He insist. This is the best way to go. I didn't think there was much difference between Dakotas, but I have certainly learned there is a world of difference so rather than me trying to understand I see quality advice, which is what brings me here is it worth keeping or should I take it back and get the Hornby?

forum_image_658eba0ebc739.thumb.png.2b64dc19c53e6e35b829a5ec96ea87af.png

I have no experience of ANE decoders. You will have to compare specs.

The R8245 Sapphire is a good decoder and rare to find these days.

Download the manual for it as it has several features not available in the very basic R8249 decoder. https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/360015937539

One feature is live coal and water burn where the loco will stop if it runs out of fuel. If you have an Elite controller this is the only time the on/off button has any use.

Others are 4 stage auto-operations, special lighting effects and a good 1 amp capability.

The 8 pin harness can be removed and the board plugged into a 21 pin socket.

TTS decoders are no longer available new, but there may be old stock floating around in shops. The HM7000 / TXS does not currently have the sound profile for this class (may be incorrect here). If you have a DCC system already, Zimo & LokSound are the way to go. I just got a Zimo MX645 (no plug) from YouChoos, arrived within 48 hrs.

I suppose there isn't a Duchess running at the moment hence why no HM7000 profile. I think my one has the DCC socket in the tender so if you want to put the speaker in the loco you need to do a bit of rewiring. I think we have already covered the options available. It all depends on what you have to spend. My one is quite old so it has a TTS decoder in it, as they were very cheap at the time. The HM7000 without powerbank and TTS I found were very susceptible to a bad signal from the track whereas the Zimo decoders seem to be a lot better.

Went with the sapphire as the other one has a defect. It’s brilliant it’s the first loco I have had let alone a steam engine that moves seamlessly at speed 1 of the available 128 steps the movement is almost glacial and even through the points it’s a breathtaking site supplier has plenty of sapphire chips new and sealed on the shelf and only $75AUD. super happy. Thanks everyone.

Yes I remember reading in the magazines they were one of the best chips to be seen at the time. Very happy tempted to buy more but my humble collection will just adapt and see future locos replaced with new pre chipped 21 pin or higher HOWEVER on a side note:

and if someone (mods) wants to close this post now we have a solution please do so

i wanted to say I have a few bachmann locos on the layout at present and while I’m a Hornby person I can not lie those bachmanns purely from a running and detail perspective are really something. But we are talking about locos that while mint in the box would have been purchased some 10+ years ago looking forward to welcoming a new loco this year.

thanks again.

Mod note - thread locked and titled amended (solved)