is there a suitable cable ?

Dear All i have recently had to purchase a new hornby elite as the programming track outputs gave up on my original elite. My idea is to use the new one to control track and the original to control accessories. i am using a dell inspiron 15 - 3511 pc. but the problem i have is that the pc only has one type 2.0 usb port. it also has 2 usb 3.2 sockets but i cannot seem to find a suitable 3.2 cable with a d shape to fit into the second elite.

the manual says dont use a hub so am i asking for the impossible?

any help would be most welcome

regards

steamfreak

I think what you are trying to describe is a USB-B to USB-C cable. This is what I use to connect my RM Laptop USB 3.1 [uSB-C] to my Elite USB 2.0 [uSB-B].

The example link below is the cable type I use that I purchased from Kenable cables. Other retailers stock these cables, but I have been using Kenable for years for all my cable needs and never had a problem.

PRO Metal USB-C to Printer Cables Type-C Plug to B Male

For information. USB-C defines the connector physically. USB 3.2 defines the electrical specifications. Thus searching for a USB 3.2 cable is less likely to find the cable you are looking for than if you searched instead for a USB-B to USB-C cable. USB-B defines the physical USB connector used on the Elite.

You may get a cheaper price by buying direct from the Kenable website (what I do), thereby saving ebay seller fees.

Kenable | Cables |

The Elite USB-B is electrically a USB 2.0 interface. The USB-C [uSB 3.2] interface on your Laptop should be backward compatible to USB 2.0 (mine is, except it is 3.1 not 3.2) but will need confirming. If not backward compatible then the Elite can not be supported on it.

Ref this diagram.

forum_image_658daa75d8220.png.e9104c2910c19e3662769e8e201dda0a.png

Normally you would use a Type A to Type B but you need one end to be Type C. The problem lies in that a Type C will likely have a USB 3 Type B on the other end, which will not fit the Elite. One option is a regular Type A converted into a Type C using an adapter.

forum_image_658daa7751e42.thumb.png.26b5f7c577256aed17e46d05b828338f.png

hi all

just an update on this topic, according to Kenable Ltd , a normal 2.0 cable should work fine using the 3.2 socket without need of an adapter. Unfortunately I am away from home for a few days so I haven't had any chance to try this. I will give an update asap on my return

best regards

steamfreak

Well I did state in my earlier reply that my Kenable cable worked fine on my USB-C (3.x) Laptop socket to connect my USB-B (2.0) Elite.

The caveat being that the 3.x Laptop socket has to be backward compatible to 2.0 ... most are, but needs confirming.

hi Paul/RAF

just to let you know, the second controller is now working well without need of an adapter. I think i got confused with the socket terminology. Once again many thanks for the help provided.

best regards

steamfreak

I think I got confused with the socket terminology.

That's what I suggested was the case in the opening sentence of my first reply. But pleased to hear all sorted and working now. I assume you used the Kenable cable I identified.

thumbsup