Using R8247 with KATO turnouts

manougeo

Hello,

I would like to use R8247 with KATO turnouts (only 2 fires).

Can I connect the turnout with the same method than on this video (with a Lenz LS150) simply using diodes ?

Thank you for your answer

You need a 3 wire to 2 wire converter. This has been discussed on the forum previously with links to a commercial solution. DIY build of such a module is not complex if you are handy with a soldering iron. A schematic diagram has also been posted. Good luck finding it with the dire search engine on here.

There isn't enough detail in that video to say whether it would work with a Hornby R8247. Knowing how the R8247 works and the limitations in its configuration options I would suspect that there is a configuration option in the LS150 to support the diode solution that is not replicated in the R8247. The + & - outputs of the R8247 are fixed as being switched negatives and the Common fixed as a permanent positive, so cant' see how diodes would allow a switched polarity reversal that the Kato needs using a R8247.

DCC Concepts make an adapter specifically designed to operate Kato 2 wire point motors on any (most) 3 wire Accessory Decoders and this would significantly increase success of controlling a Kato. Dare I say it would guarantee it working.

DCC Decoder Converter 3 Wire to 2 Wire (3 Pack)

EDIT: 96RAF posted his reply whilst I was still typing mine. An example circuit diagram of a home made DIY adaptor that he mentions is linked to below.

Datei:Motorweichenadapter.png - Digital Modellbahn

Further EDIT: See my "Update Post" further below that confirms my answer above.

Update to my previous reply.

Just had a look at the online Lenz LS150 manual. The manual states on Page 3 that the 3 wire outputs are AC and not DC. The AC outputs are derived from the additional AC transformer input needed as part of a LS150 installation. This explains why the Lenz diode solution documented on Page 9 of the LS150 manual for Kato point motors works. The output being AC allows the diodes to create two pulsed DC outputs of opposite reversed polarity. The 3 wire output of the R8247 is DC and not AC, thus the 3 wire to 2 wire adapter needs to be used for Kato motors and the Lenz diode solution will not work with a Hornby R8247.

I make my own CDUs for each point (3-wire solenoid point motors), they are DC output to the motor (in common with all CDUs I've ever come across). Some time ago I re-designed them so if desired I can connect one of the DCC Concepts 3>2 adapters in between as a direct fit (the order of the terminals now match). The combination works great with Kato and LGB point motors :)

........they are DC output to the motor (in common with all CDUs I've ever come across).

The Lenz LS150 Accessory Decoder does not have any integrated CDU function. The AC output of the attached transformer input is passed through to the 3 wire outputs. Therefore the attached transformer needs to have a relatively high current output to compensate for the lack of an integrated CDU function.

The manual states that the attached transformer should not exceed 45VA, else the short circuit protection within the LS150 may be compromised. 45VA equates to a current of 2.8 Amps at 16 Volts, 16 Volts being a commonly used AC voltage used in model railways.

The manual also states that the additional AC transformer input should not be substituted with a DC power supply, else the LS150 will be damaged.

Additionally, the manual states that the AC output on the 3 wire terminals will be about 1 volt less than the AC input, this suggests that the switching is semi-conductor controlled and not mechanical relay contacts and probably accounts for the manual's damage statement if using a DC supply on the input.