My TT:120 Layout

Dodge1965

So i decided to do a post with info and updates on my first ever layout.

I joined the Forum last January after watching Simon K on TV and was hooked by him and TT:120. So after watching the Hornby program, I went online and joined the TT:120 club and did a pre order for the Scotsman set.

As they say the rest is history. I had a Hornby set as a child, when I was around 6yrs old, but was more interested in Shooting, Fishing and Motorbikes.

So now skip to 58yrs and it all starts. I now have ordered the set, I tell the wife and we plan on where its going (she was very helpfull and supportive and is promoted to the ART department, both of us have no idea what we are doing and how to do it.

But I was a joiner and builder for a number of years, so the work on converting and sorting the loft is the easy part, working with models and items, with these size fingers is not.

We clear the junk and insulate the loft and electrics and network cables are run, then comes the layout end, this is in the extension part of the loft, the middle end wall dividing the two lofts, was removed a few years ago.

Started on boarding and creating the base for the layout, I wanted it to take my weight (17.6st) as I knew I would be getting on it at times.

I wanted to always use HMDCC as much as possible, I use a Hornby Elite for DCC power, in future will add the dongle and use more of the feature of the Elite.

So I also started to add a few vids to Youtube and last week, adding one with me talking.

Then I thought I would do another video, using all the still pictures I had on the Iphone, this again is work in progress, as I’ve never done any video editing.

I will add to this post and keep you all updated.

I must add, I am the worlds most impatient man and I have obsessive compulsive disorder, so this is the main reason I went with TT120, as if an other gauge, I would have walked into a model shop and bought the lot, that is how my head works.

But this modelling/layout has changed me, now I can waiting for anything and don’t want it all yesterday. I have so much to do, but as Simon told me on day one….. “its not a race”.

He has been a good friend this last year and when we met at one of the shows in 2023, was a great day to met the man who got me started. Plus I message him most weeks and we catch up and I update him on progress, whether he wants to know or not !!!

I have written too much and most have probably clicked away by now…

Thanks Dodge

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

So after all the excitement from the HST, we managed to get some work on the layout done this week. ART department was all over it..

Rocks under bridge in place and coloured.

Made decision to remove all foam and place track on board direct.

She also made some walling from clay from The Works. 
Will post when foam gone and track is back together.

Also she has followed @Rallymatt tree making vid and made a forest.

Peco platform sides been trimmed and painted first coat.D4385D23-4424-4704-A3BA-DA4E05F3351E.thumb.jpeg.20821be35068c38fdb19ee69d713626b.jpeg

IMG_3465.thumb.jpeg.138d1e2684c6e052d33bf41f0d740055.jpegIMG_3467.thumb.jpeg.a1e4716276d93c5dfcf66649c4663ca1.jpegIMG_3474.thumb.jpeg.0af1545f7b893294b1b694597783dec0.jpegIMG_3479.thumb.jpeg.096a763e2d36c8dbe9b2f1ab38e7e6d3.jpeg017F2BCA-AA3D-473A-B003-889F53493A90.thumb.jpeg.56e7dde91bfbfaf78785bf693e748bd7.jpeg

Edited by Dodge1965
  • Like 6

Just now, Rallymatt said:

We have a scenic genius in our midst! Wow!!!! 

Thanks... U noticed my skills at painting the bridge handrails and making it look like the paint was running down the sides... That took skills 🤣

She is amazing, spent a lot of time in the loft, on the base boards.. It does your back in.. I'm well happy with the results.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taunmarc88 said:

It’s looking really good @Dodge1965 ! Your layout will have some lovely details. I can’t wait to see it featured in a modelling magazine !

Thanks matey... I've had some help from a couple of railway modelling gods... Plus the misses is really skilled and helps me loads.  As to the magazine.. Haha i guess u never know..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Taff TT said:

It is looking good (and sorry about foam 🤐).

Thanks matey... The foam is good and when not leant on, does work. But do to location and access, its not working. I've also decided to put track direct on basebaord as well, won't be using the Woodland Scenics N foam stuff. As again the access and location is not easy.  Plus when all my testing has been direct, not seen any issues.

I will use screws to hold track in place, then ballast it all an then remove the screws. That is the plan at the moment.. It could change..

How u doing with yours?

8 minutes ago, Dodge1965 said:

How u doing with yours?

No changes yet. Settling down with layout and about to wire up for dc and dcc operations (in isolation to each other of course).

19 minutes ago, Taff TT said:

No changes yet. Settling down with layout and about to wire up for dc and dcc operations (in isolation to each other of course).

Sounds good.. Best to test loads and keep checking.. No rush at all

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Not a pink person myself !! 😃  Purple is the wife's fav colour and i found a picture of the red Mallard and was hooked..

Used the nameplates from Douglas, great quality..

I know colours are not for everyone.. But i guess, i like to be different.

Edited by Dodge1965

5 hours ago, GMD said:

Loved the pillar box red. Well done whoever it was who helped. Came up a treat. 

Thanks.. The colour is Candy Apple Red Pearlescent. Very happy with finish.. They both look better in the flesh.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on the layout. I have removed some track, as i think i got blinkered by putting too much track down and then adding more.

So after a look with the ART department, we made a few changes. Liking it, much more now. More space for the layout and places and items.

Now to close all the gaps and get the droppers and point motors in place..

• Like 7