Adhesive for clear parts

As I usually build aircraft, I've got used to the idea of using either PVA, or more recently, Formula 560 Canopy Glue, for fixing the canopies onto the fuselage. I'm aware of the horror stories of poly cement or CA fogging the transparent parts, and hence this query. I'm in the midst of building the Airfix Air Sea Rescue launch, and I'm at the stage of the gun turrets:

forum_image_65b26d96d30b7.png.de147d5b16dc6e890e1fc18b7a0486e3.png

You can see from the instructions that the turrets are two parts (sandwiching a machine gun), but the edge to edge join (with a light lip overlap) doesn't seem to offer much hope of a strong enough join if using the previously mentioned Canopy Glue. Other options currently available to me include Humbrol Liquid Poly, Revell Contacta Liquid and Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. Which adhesive would other modellers recommend? And would it safeguard against fogging if I first varnished (with gloss varnish) the interior of the turrets? All advice gratefully received!

Thank you both for your replies. I've tried Humbrol Clear Fix and it doesn't have the tensile strength for joining such a restricted joint area - OK for canopies which simply stick to a fuselage. I've ordered a tube of G-S Hypo Cement, which I will try! I assume I ordered the right one - there were several different types available.

• 3 months later...
On 26/01/2024 at 09:51, null_null981707818191 said:

I've tried Humbrol Clear Fix and it doesn't have the tensile strength for joining such a restricted joint area

Doing the turrets for the Lancaster and used Tamiya extra thin cement quick setting on them, after building the front turret i noticed the clear part was missing its locating pin, so i tried to prise it apart to see how well the clear part and normal plastic part was stuck and no chance its really held the parts together and so far no fogging. And i do have a Lancaster kit i bought for spare parts.

If it's applied carefully there should be no problem with extra thin type solvents being used, but woe betide if you use a little too much as to cause it to flood or blot. Quick set evaporates rapidly, so it reduces the chances of it doing any damage.