Colour Blind

Hi all,

Just a quick question, do we have any other colour blind builders?

I enjoy the Airfix build process and I use rattle cans as I have always struggled with airbrushes.

I have just got the 1/48 Seafire and have run into two issues.

First is the dark sea grey not being available in a rattle can.

Second is the paint mix for the underside.

Can anybody help with alternative rattle can colours for the model in question?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Pete,

+1 for those with 'colour perception difficulty '...! In the modelling world it hasn't caused any issues, however it did have some career impact many years ago.

I also have the Seafire and would be interested in a rattle can alternative, in the meantime I have the Fleet Air Colours set from Hataka which will probably be airbrushed on when the aircraft hits the workbench.

Nick

Hi Nick,

So far my choice in a rattle can is Tamiya Ocean Grey.

Thinking out loud, I am not going to notice the diffrence anyway. If you have a simular problem I will send you a photo and as long as the wings are on the right way it should look fab.

I did manage to join the Royal Navy as a weapons engineer, this is how I found out I was colour blind.

I was called out often during the night as I was one of the few who could fault find in red lighting using test equipment rather than looking at colours.

The rattle can is such a blunt instrument, I stopped using them many years ago. If you like spraying, invest in an airbrush. Much more subtle and many more of the right colour to choose from.

Hi Pete,

My RN medical was even more damning! After much toing and froing with coloured lenses and some contraption called a Martin Lantern (pinpricks of light) my red/green perception meant there were very few options left to me, not a pleasant experience and my RN service was short and not particularly sweet.

In practice it's never been an issue in the ensuing 44 years!

Regarding EDSG, I shall probably just use what I've got in the paint stash and see how it sprays through the airbrush. Whilst rattle cans are a great time saver, my spray booth is small and the garage alternative is not welcoming at this time of year.

Cans do a far better job over large areas

It's akin to using a blunt instrument to bludgeon someone to death. I have no issue with covering large areas with an airbrush, it's all down to how you use it. I get that not everybody wants, or has the wherewithal to invest in an airbrush.