Change loco cv number

Engine shed 1

Consult your controller manual for the key strokes to simply send a new address to the decoder. I believe you need an add-on unit to be able to read and write values to CVs. The controller will sort out where to lodge the values for a short or long address and adjust CV29 to match.

The powercab does not need any add ons to read and write CVs.

There is an auto switch unit that can be added to avoid having to manually switch from the main track to the programming track but it is optional. It's like the Select. In fact I think the auto switch unit can be used with the Select.

It's easy to change addresses with the Powercab, just read the manual. Sorry, can't access mine ATM.

Edit for typo

PowerCab will treat 03 as long address 3 which is not the same as short address 3 (the default for new decoders).

I take it you're in "Use Program Track" mode (not programming on the main)? Remembering that if your PowerCab doesn't have an AutoSwitch module added it uses its main track output for programming (hence the need to remove all other locos from the track first). Does the PoweCab manage to read the decoder ok?

Once you're into the programming mode it's just a case of following the steps it guides you through to enter the address and choose whether to activate the long or short address.

I was trying to do it using the setting on my power cab maintrack and not the prog track this was the only loco that I have had to use prog track op on but I think I will always change them using this opt from now on I guess it was operater error 😂learnt the hard way but def learnt 

Well done.   
I've always understood that the address is something you cannot change thru Programming On The Main because the system is talking to the decoder via its address, so you have to use the Programming Track mode which doesn't care about the address and will program anything/everything sitting on the track.   That may of course be something that was only true with older decoders, but I still stick to it as a principle and use the Programming Track for everything.   Also, you can only read back CVs  using the Programming Track so you cannot confirm the changes have stuck.  PoM is more for making slight tweaks and for setting up consists etc.
I use the free JMRI software for programming (with a SPROG for hardware but JMRI can talk to NCE systems with an appropriate interface), it is more user-friendly and can save all the CV settings as a Roster Entry in case they're lost, you're replacing the decoder with another of the same type, or you made a mess of some changes and need to restore everything 🙂