advice on cutting very fine part from sprue

I've been given a battle of britain memorial flight kit and am a beginner. I've got myself some tools from watching Youtube videos so I have the following

a scalpel

sanding sticks

needle files

a razor saw

side cutters

tweezers

I'm constantly looking ahead in the build guide and dreading the chin aerials.

The chin 'H' aerials on the Lancaster are about the thickness of a hair. They are attached to the sprue by the normal 2-3mm blob of plastic, not from the base but from the actual aerial part.

It looks like even if I am super careful, these things are going to break when I remove them.

How would you get the parts off the sprue?

Hi Kevin, I have moved your post to the Tips & Craft section, because your asking for tips about craft.

I use side cutters for most parts. With the small parts I try to hold the part between the fingers of my left hand while I cut with the right hand (being right handed). That way the part doesn't ping off to be consumed by the Carpet Monster, never to be seen again.

HTH

For very fine parts I'll sometimes use a very fresh blade to score the attachment points top and bottom and use the side cutters to separate the frame well away from the part so that any wedging from the side cutter blades doesn't press on the part. You can then work you way in towards the part in relative safety.

The important thing is to ensure the bit connecting the part to the sprue is well supported on the underside so that you are cutting against something firm.  Also be sure to place your finger on the part or it will fly off and be claimed by the carpet monster!

For small, delicate parts and transparencies I use either a PE micro saw (top), or razor saw (bottom).

DSC_0649.thumb.JPG.6b8ba17bfe3f2bfe327bd953d029534a.JPG

A single sided cutter/nipper is also an option, although the quality ones come at a price, such as this one by DSPIAE.

DSC_0499.thumb.JPG.051510e233a1930891a514f0dd751b86.JPG

Edited by peebeep