Navigating from one sub group to another?

With new forum what is the simplest way to go from one subgroup, e.g. RailMaster to HM7000? I'm using Chrome on a Laptop. In this example, I'm not interested in read/unread, I just want to go to it.

The greyed out path towards the top misses out an "index path", only back to all the brands. This index step would make it so easy and maybe encourage posts in the right group.

We have noted that several breadcrumb paths are incomplete. Is that the same thing as an index path? Currently the quickest way is to go back to the list of sub forums headed Hornby. Click the emboldened word Hornby so all boxes are unchecked and the check the one you want. R-

You will note when you get to that tick box that any sub forums with new posts are bold. I find the quickest way back there is to click Home > Our Brands > Hornby. A tad unwieldy but it gets me there, else I rely upon Activity > Unread Content.

1 hour ago, RB51 said:

.... Is that the same thing as an index path? .....

Thanks @RB51 , just to clarify, I see on this particular page:

Home > Our Brands > Forum & Website Feedback > Navigating from one sub group to another?

My suggestion would be something like:

Home > Our Brands > Forum Index > Forum & Website Feedback > Navigating from one sub group to another?

Then clicking on Forum Index could take you to a page (that doesn't seem to currently exist) of all the sub forums available. Much less clicks than today, but the current tick list does serve a good way to see what's new where.

Edited by gilbo2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, gilbo2 said:

Thanks @RB51 , just to clarify, I see on this particular page:

Home > Our Brands > Forum & Website Feedback > Navigating from one sub group to another?

My suggestion would be something like:

Home > Our Brands > Forum Index > Forum & Website Feedback > Navigating from one sub group to another?

Then clicking on Forum Index could take you to a page (that doesn't seem to currently exits) of all the sub forums available. Much less clicks than today, but the current click list does serve a good way to see what's new where.

I was thinking more of:

Home > Hornby > Forum & Website Feedback …

That way the user is reminded of which brand forum they’re posting in.

At the moment it goes from:

Home > Our Brands > Hornby

to:

Home > Our Brands > General Discussion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gilbo2 said:

So Hornby becomes the forum index page? That would make sense.

That’s what I think is missing, or something similar. It would be more similar to the old forum, although that may not be seen as a good thing. If there’s a desire to encourage more integration/cross-brand forum posting, I don’t think the current structure achieves that.

I accept that a lot of work will have gone into the porting to the new forum, so this is intended as a suggestion rather than criticism.

• Like 1

I’m not actually sure that Our Brands is needed . If you navigate to the forum from the Hornby website, you arrive at the page showing the brands, rather than the Hornby page. Maybe the sub forum list on the right could be clickable as well as being a way of filtering?

Edited by Moccasin
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

Maybe the sub forum list on the right could be clickable as well as being a way of filtering?

I've noticed that if you right-click on an entry in the sub forum list you then get an option to open the target in a new window (in Chrome, at least)

Regards, John

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Britannia Builder said:

I've noticed that if you right-click on an entry in the sub forum list you then get an option to open the target in a new window (in Chrome, at least)

Regards, John

Ah. That option doesn’t seem to exist on iOS /iPadOS but would make sense.

Edit - I’m wrong, it does. Just wasn’t dong it right.  

Edited by Moccasin
Correction

53 minutes ago, Britannia Builder said:

I've noticed that if you right-click on an entry in the sub forum list you then get an option to open the target in a new window (in Chrome, at least).....

Thanks @Britannia Builder, your work arounds are really useful.

@RB51, hopefully the suggestions in this thread can be fed back to the development team.

Edited by gilbo2