Editing posts/Topic titles

Still see no reason whatsoever for a limit. 

Can you now edit titles too?  That’s necessary over extended periods so you can start with a title for a problem and a month later edit to show a solution found. 

• Like 3

There’s no facility to do so that I can see. In the old forum, it was a case of editing the first post in a topic. It was a handy option, although with the ability to direct message moderators, I guess it’s fairly easy to ask a favour if it’s required.

On 16/03/2024 at 13:08, RB51 said:

The post editing time has been extended to 60 minutes. If any alteration after this time period is considered necessary please ask a Mod to correct it for you. In all likelihood the thread will have moved on so amendments might be better placed in the normal flow. R-

@RB51 Rog, So this never happened then? I posted this morning, within minutes i went to edit and no option to do this??

• Thanks 1

To repeat - all ridiculous. Why any sane person wants to limit the ability of a poster to improve what they’ve put on the forum in the first place is completely beyond me.

As many will know, I like to refer people back to previous content.  Often when that previous included posts from me, I discovered edits or minor errors which I have then fixed.  Consequently, I can then refer people back to the correct info, not incl my previous mistakes.

Direct message the mods - has always been possible under the heading of Report a Post. 

1 hour ago, Fishmanoz said:

Why any sane person wants to limit the ability of a poster to improve what they’ve put on the forum in the first place is completely beyond me.

There is a particular social media behavior this is intended to squelch.  I will emphasize I have not seen this particular behavior here.  Never.  Yet the behavior exists elsewhere.

Two persons, X and Y. 

X makes an assertion which is wrong.  Y spends the time to explain to X why it is wrong.  But X doesn't like being wrong, and so edits the post, to make themselves correct.  Y is then left with a non sequitur argument.

It destroys social discourse and polite conversation.  It turns into accusations of post-editing and a consequent battle.

÷÷÷÷

I absolutely get your point Fishy.  I think the edits here are honest and above board.  At a minimum, I would appreciate the ability to attach a note explaining my error, if not permitted to edit the error away.  I would like the ability to add to my post, explaining this or that point was MY ERROR. 

Being a bit fussy, I like all my posts to be free of typographical error.  But most folks will accept a typographical error as just that, and not a black mark against me.  It bothers me that my posts contain typographical errors, but that is not a compelling argument for unlimited editing.

Anyway, I do hope you take this in the manner intended.  I support unlimited editing in an honest forum. 

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee
Shockingly free of typographical errors, but I could not resist editing it just for fun!🙂
  • Like 1

@What About The Bee You have the matter perfectly expressed and whilst not wishing to go around in circles with this can we close it down with the fact that all the points raised have been passed to Hornby. They have made a business decision. The fact that the 60 minute window is not working properly is an error. It will be fixed. R-

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, RB51 said:

@What About The Bee You have the matter perfectly expressed and whilst not wishing to go around in circles with this can we close it down with the fact that all the points raised have been passed to Hornby. They have made a business decision. The fact that the 60 minute window is not working properly is an error. It will be fixed. R-

Thanks Rog and other mods for getting the result.. Happy days... Fishy will be like a fish out of water now 🐠

Point taken Bee but I still support X’s right to correct wrong info in their post and Y’s to subsequently remove theirs. 

And I reserve the right to demur from Hornby’s business decision Rog. 

But then, we have a major sport in this world, Tennis, which has rules to confirm wrong decisions, line calls, are correct unless they are appealed immediately, with the window to appeal shutting as soon as a subsequent shot is attempted. Except the Aust Open where Hawkeye makes all line calls so none can be considered wrong. And all this while other sports strive to get decisions correct with technology. 

• Like 1