Editing posts/Topic titles

Another observation. I can’t see any reference specifically for it, hence the new Topic. 
1/ It seems that it’s impossible for a user to edit the ‘Topic Title’ currently, we know from previous forum platform this is often needed to ensure users get the specific information/help they need. 
2/ The body of text becomes un-editable either after a few minutes or another post is made. This is very annoying as we can all make small mistakes in the text that later we realise confuses the meaning. I understand why some forums do this, it’s the ‘oh well you said this, then you edited it’ mentality. Hopefully we are not that far down the food chain to need that level of protection from ourselves? My highly efficient Apple device loves to change words on me and I am too trusting to realise until it’s been loaded to the forum! 
Fully functioning editing would be very beneficial. 😁please😁

• Like 2

In addition to typo’s, there is a very valid reason of ‘new information’ I have  had a few occasions where I may have given some info on a particular situation and then after learned that it was different or I was wrong. It’s nice to be able to correct the post at the point it was made rather than a page later. Just a thought

• Like 1

I do agree that, in this forum, editing is more helpful. Making completion of the “edit reason” compulsory would further help control any abuse of the function. In any case, given the subjects discussed, there should be no real reason why people WOULD go back and change what they said in a malicious fashion, and that would be an instant report. These aren’t (thankfully) the dark reaches of Twitter/ X.

PS Love the tyop edit.

• Like 1

I'd vote for removal of the time limit,  I often need a complete break from a complex reply and then spot an error ages later. Also agree that it may benefit to add new updated information, keeps OCD under control!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, gilbo2 said:

I'd vote for removal of the time limit,  I often need a complete break from a complex reply and then spot an error ages later. Also agree that it may benefit to add new updated information, keeps OCD under control!

I agree.. I made so many typo's and Fishy wants the titles correct, this won't happen now.

• Like 1

Editing after a post has been seen by others is likely to result in the edit not being seen, especially by a member who had already read the post. If new information becomes available, just add a new post, maybe referring to your earlier one.

I favour the 15 minute limit being shorter, not longer!

1 minute ago, Dukedog1707821543 said:

I would need  longer to edit and go back for typos as I am dyslexic and like to go back just doing corrections.

Fair comment but I cannot see it being increased.  Your editing time is unlimited though until you press enter to actually post

Umm, a bit of a Marmite moment developing all for valid arguments. I guess to help future readers, if you know a post is wrong due to current information, all you can do is ask a moderator to update it for you. I wouldn't want a forum littered with misleading advice.

• Like 2

For me, one of the excellent features of the last forum was the unlimited editing time. A month later was not unusual for me. And if after the month, the change was significant, I could always put in a new post to refer back to it. 

So definitely for no edit limit. I don’t need a nanny to help me to not confuse people with errors in my posts. 

And definitely title edit too!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don't see the need for a time limit on an honest forum. There is a box to explain any edit if deemed to be appropriate.

If anyone changes anything that radically alters the post to the disadvantage of further posts then they get slapped for it by way of a warning.

If they (as had happened before) change a Mod's note on a post then its sin-bin time definitely, likely without pre-warning.

• Like 5

A big part of the hobby, for me, is the research and original source materials.  A new discovery can readily contradict an earlier supposition.  

Example: A and B are the data points.  Thus, I can declare conclusion C.  But data point D emerges, contradicting C.  This happened explicitly during the investigation of Locomotion No.1's rolling stock.

My choice was to edit the post, to add a statement to the original conclusion stating it was wrong, without modifying the original conclusion.

This new edit policy requires that I know all things before one post, and eliminates the nature of research.  If a person does not read far enough down in the replies, that person may never discover the new fact, or realize there is a factual error.

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee
Typographical error
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

I don't see the need for a time limit on an honest forum. There is a box to explain any edit if deemed to be appropriate.

If anyone changes anything that radically alters the post to the disadvantage of further posts then they get slapped for it by way of a warning.

If they (as had happened before) change a Mod's note on a post then its sin-bin time definitely, likely without pre-warning.

I can’t “like” this as I’ve used up my quota but I tried to make a similar point earlier. On social media, where political discussions are prevalent, it’s a tricky subject but here it would seem over the top given what’s being discussed and should hopefully require only occasional mod intervention.

As an example, my earlier post in the TT120 forum went all wrong and caused moderator effort that I could probably have done myself on the old forum. 

Edited by Moccasin
Spelling!

13 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

96RAF, you wrote:

Am I to understand that a comment by a moderator on my post then adds an additional 15 minute edit period??

Bee

This is unclear. So, let’s test it. This edit at your posting time +4 minutes. R-

Sorry 96RAF.  My head wandered away.  Posting this at 5:24 GMT.

We need to wait until my edit time expires, which should be 5:39 GMT.

I will set an alarm for 5:54 GMT, giving you plenty of time to jump in and give me that firm Moderator edit!  About 5:44 should do it!

Bee

mod note - edit at 17:40 GMT.

secondary edit at 17:41 to note that under my edit it says 'expires instead of expired'

As a fellow dyslecsic, I also don't notice tghe error for some time until the other side of my brain gets a look in, so I am all for no time limit. If you are responsible enough to note the error a few days later and there have been dozens of posts since, then you should be responible enough to draw the attention to the edit in a later post, especially if it has dire consequences. For example - Say you give a solution to a problem, but find out some time later that is was in error and could result in a decoder failure something like that. You put the correction in a dozen posts later. A newbie (me) comes along with same problem a year later, only reads down to your faulty post and perhaps a couple more, then goes and does what you suggested - Kaboom!!! goes the decoder or whatever.

Edited by Aussie Fred
to make more sense
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Aussie Fred said:

…Say you give a solution to a problem, but find out some time later that is was in error and could result in a decoder failure…

A newbie (me) comes along with same problem a year later, only reads down to your faulty post…

Kaboom!!! goes the decoder or whatever.

I completely agree with you @Aussie Fred - however until the time limit can be extended or removed (or if such a change isn’t permissible) - a workaround does already exist.

On 2/17/2024 at 3:39 PM, LTSR_NSE said:

…simply report own post for inaccuracy & request moderator to strikethrough/delete offending text.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The post editing time has been extended to 60 minutes. If any alteration after this time period is considered necessary please ask a Mod to correct it for you. In all likelihood the thread will have moved on so amendments might be better placed in the normal flow. R-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2