TT120 stock in Fenwick store

Moccasin

Just now, Rallymatt said:

Wait till it’s available in every Sports Direct store! 

Ugh! A shame they got rid of most of their HoF stores, they’d have been a good place to have a concession. They’ve now got a similar 9% stake in Curry’s and I think they own Game, so maybe they’re considering a collaboration. 

I think there could be a revival in the department store, MA has been buying up and investing in a very wide range of brands, the high street is on its knees, rents and values are rock bottom… time to shake it all up again 

Waitrose failed in Durham due to poor location. M&S closing its Sunderland city centre store… I do wonder if all the panic about retail is mainly about bad business decisions rather than customers. Back to model shops, how many are quite rubbish really? 

Edited by Rallymatt
Spell check that isn’t that smart

21 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I thought Hornby had got rid of all its concessions? Are Fenwicks still selling non-Hornby model railway items?

All non Hornby items have gone. Now only selling Corgi, Humbrol, Airfix, Scalextric & Hornby. They used to sell Bachmann, at the least, and used to have a G? Gauge train shuttling end to end above the stock. 

Just now, Ray-376212 said:

Nice to hear Fenwicks in Newcastle have TT120 in stock. I'm only a 10 minute drive away so i can inform my family where to go to get my birthday/xmas pressies.

I have thought similar! I think the nearest alternative stockists are TMC near Whitby and Frizinghall in Bradford. It’s a limited stock at Fenwick’s though…

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Purely in the interests of research, I ventured into Fenwicks in Newcastle at lunchtime and accidentally bought the ESSO TTA tanker.

A couple of observations:

• there was little sign of much stock being sold since my first visit
  • the shop assistant had to scan a separate "Hornby Service" barcode before scanning the barcode on the box, so I think that confirms that it is indeed a Hornby in-store concession.

As I headed back to my office, I noted with a wry smile that buying today was a good plan. The small Fenwicks paper bag gave off strong "Mother's Day present" vibes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Until you mentioned Fenwicks, I would never have dreamed of looking in a department store these days for models of any kind. Needs a bigger push to let people know the different Hornby outlets are and who stocks what, EG: everything or Just OO, HM DCC or just TT:120 etc. 

5 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Until you mentioned Fenwicks, I would never have dreamed of looking in a department store these days for models of any kind. Needs a bigger push to let people know the different Hornby outlets are and who stocks what, EG: everything or Just OO, HM DCC or just TT:120 etc. 

It's very unusual and it's hard to find department stores at all these days! Time was when every town would have a Co-op department store. My childhood town's store had a small Hornby selection.

Fenwicks show up in the Hornby stockist list but not in the separate TT120 stockists list. If it was me, I'd have simple icons under each stockist showing at a glance what they sold.

• Like 3

I have said this before, the shop demonstration layout was always a big draw and I think this ‘secret salesman’ has been overlooked in recent years. TT:120 would be ideal to have running to get imaginations fired up. 

• Like 2

I bought a class 92 for £20.00 when david morgans departmant store  in cardiff when it closed it was half price .

they had a very large box full of them on the shop floor but   they were all the same

sad  as i did not know they sold hornby just past the toy department by luck on that day😊

Edited by happy tt
it made more sense

• 1 month later...

Popped in to the store today (pushing through lots of very happy Newcastle fans). They have more stock on show, including all three HSTs (DCC ready versions).

The executive and GWR versions were showing and I must have accidentally moved them around so that the GWR was at the back and the Blue/Grey & executive version on view at the front. How careless of me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 08/03/2024 at 15:19, Moccasin said:

It's very unusual and it's hard to find department stores at all these days! Time was when every town would have a Co-op department store. My childhood town's store had a small Hornby selection.

Fenwicks show up in the Hornby stockist list but not in the separate TT120 stockists list. If it was me, I'd have simple icons under each stockist showing at a glance what they sold.

I remember the old Co-op in Luton back in the day. must have been late 1970's  they had a big, well it seemed big to me at the time toy department with lots of Hornby stuff. My mum would sometimes get me a few items with the old Co-op stamps, anyone remember them?

• Like 1