Playtrains Controller R7330 availability (or not...)

I've been looking for a supplementary Playtrains R7330 controller but to no avail - out of stock everywhere I've Googled...

I even came across a posting purporting to say that the controller has been discontinued(!)

As supplemental train packs (eg Bolt and Thunder) require the separate purchase of a controller (to avoid sibling squabbles and potentially WW3) does anyone know what the future holds for the Playtrains controller as a separate purchase?

You might be out of luck Andy.

It was reported at the start of the year that Playtrains was being discontinued, though something else may well replace it. I have attached a link that was on RMWeb.

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/News/hornby-announces-the-end-of-playtrains?utm_campaign=1006770_WoR Hornby Announcement 9th Jan 24&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dotdigital&dm_i=73DL,LKTU,2ELF6P,2T239,1

If you keep an eye on Ebay you may find one, but it might be quicker to pick up another starter if you see one.

• Like 1

Hi Andy

I’d agree with @ellocoloco - second hand or new starter set might be an easier option.

I would though call or email Customer Services at Hornby and ask if they have any ideas. If you use the same humour with them as you did in your post, they might just take pity on you!

• Like 1

No-one does, I've looked too - those results that appear always come up as out of stock. I also found an article sating that Playtrains are being discontinued, so getting an additional set and hiding the rest of it might be a good option to avoid tears if anything in the existing set breaks.  Still worth a call to Customer Services though - there might be an unsellable set lying around somewhere in Margate that they could raid a remote from!

Oops I might be wrong , try R7330 Hornby Playtrains Remote Control (osbornsmodels.com) or Playtrains - Solo Controller (chasewaterrailway.co.uk)

Edited by Moccasin
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Andy-662041 said:

Good call! - Thanks!! Purchase made!!! Order about to be restored and World Peace possible...

Ach - not so good after all - just had an email from the supplier:

"Refund for R7330 + p&p from order 220224/24, unfortunately these are currently unavailable"

Curses

https://www.hornbyhobbies.com/products/playtrains-solo-controller-r7330

It is the Hornby US Outlet.

Claims to have them in stock.

Have them ship to you in the UK.

Bee

Edit: also a bunch of other playtrains stuff there, to expand the layout.  May make the shipping more palatable 

Edited by What About The Bee
Additional info

Andy, 

One other suggestion would be to look at Hornby stockists near you - not all will trade online - and give them a call. From my experience not all will stock Hornby trains, some might just be Airfix or Humbrol, but you might find a controller in a more general toy shop.

https://uk.hornby.com/community/stockists

There must be one out there with your name on it!

7 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

Was also going to post about this. Sadly it’s not available until Autumn. Argos ARE doing Flash at £50 but that seems steep just for a controller! 

I saw that, but is there are no controllers around at all, i would wait and buy it, if it was me...

Posted (edited)
On 23/02/2024 at 21:06, ellocoloco said:

Andy, 

There must be one out there with your name on it!

@Moccasin

Happily, the Chasewater Railway shop has come to the rescue!
Also managed to procure all the track extension packs.
Just now need a 'Bolt' to complete the set 🙂

20240301_004426.jpg

Edited by Andy-662041
  • Like 3

On 29/02/2024 at 09:49, Dodge1965 said:

Hornby just sent out an email for Playtrians...

image.thumb.png.2bf97758a6b7cf6afced5a715a85320c.png

Ooh - a smart-looking beastie 🙂

Is this a different-coloured track system? Looks grey from the pix - all the track I have so far is red...

10 minutes ago, Andy-662041 said:

@Moccasin

Happily, the Chasewater Railway shop has come to the rescue!
Also managed to procure all the track extension packs.
Just now need a 'Bolt' to complete the set 🙂

20240301_004426.jpg

great stuff - am glad that peace can be restored and you can support a heritage line at the same time.

• Like 1