Lag on decoder status in app

Is there a known problem with a significant lag in the app updating the connectivity status of a decoder. As you can see from the picture my loco is not on the track and doesn’t have a stay alive. It took about 4 minutes to change status. This is a bit of a challenge when the loco stops on the track but shows it’s still connected  Doesn’t help troubleshooting image.thumb.jpeg.cdaad25cb0e09cc15e3a693d17cca0c6.jpeg

I don’t believe this is a known issue… (possibly the device is struggling to run the app correctly?)

•  What version of iPad are you using?

•  What version of iOS is it running?

•  Have you closed all other apps? (to ensure it has maximum memory available)

• Have you updated the decoder with all available firmware updates?

@BritInVanCA be aware there are two types of ‘memory’ in an iPad…

• RAM (usually referred to as memory) - the faster kind that running apps require/use for peak performance. Latest iPads have between 4-8GB of this, older models have less.

• Solid State (usually referred to as storage) - the slower kind that simply stores/holds all files, apps, data etc until they are called into use. This is what your 128GB figure refers to.

An app that requires a large amount of fast memory for sending/receiving lots of rapid communications (as Daedalus explained) will be hampered/restricted/ slowed down - if other apps are running & using up some of the available fast memory.

Edited by LTSR_NSE

@LTSR_NSE

yeah I know how the different types work. I used to be in the industry. Didn’t realize HM:DCC was that RAM intensive. Good information. Thanks

To date myself my ZX81 came with 1K and I upgraded to 16K. That seemed like luxury!

Edited by BritInVanCA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@LTSR_NSE

you’re going to get me in trouble for going off topic. After the Sinclair Spectrum I graduated to the BBC (Acorn) model B. Wonderful computer. My first experience was an Apple II that my friends dad had. Hand coding games or retyping from magazines. Those were the days

• Like 1

OK I found some time to do a controlled test. I did a restart of the iPad and then just opened the HM:DCC app. It takes about 10 seconds to recognize a loco that has been put on the track and 1 minute (I know I exaggerated the lag in my original post) to recognize a loco that has been removed/lost connectivity. Not the end of the world I know (I won't try to classify this as a fault!) but it does make it difficult to recognize intermittent losses of power. Perhaps just an observation.

My dongle arrives tomorrow so I'll be having fun setting up my conventional OO DCC locos!