Wiring Dapol Two Arm Junction Signal

Hello Hornby experts,

I've learnt an awful lot in this forum but there is still much I don't get about the electrics! If anyone can help with this I'd be much obliged.

I have two Dapol Semaphore signals 4L-002-001 (WAS OOSIGN3), powered by 12v DC, with a Peco passing contact switch (PL-26 in PL50 module). This arrangement works well.

I've just added something a little more ambitious - Dapol 4L-002-003 which has two lights and signal arms, and slightly different wiring. I've connected the power and the signal wires as directed in the instructions to a new PL-26 in the PL50. The only difference with this wiring is that the signal has a yellow common wire - which I've put in the middle socket on the back of the PL50 / 26 switch. However when I press the switch, this new signal doesn't move at all. I know that it can operate, as when I use the switch that the signal comes with it (again 3 wires) it works fine. However, for convenience I'd rather have all my switches in the PL50.
Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks again

The original Dapol signals worked on a pulse switching, which is why the passing contact switch works.

I suspect the new signal is a constant supply as you say it works with the switch supplied. Use a meter on that switch to confirm it is either a on-on or on-off-on logic. If so you need to fetch the equivalent Peco switch for your switch block.

Edit - having looked at the product info - little that there is - it says the signal has twin servo motors which operate on a push to function, push again to function in reverse. The actual switching is done by internal electronics. Interesting that images show 2 x regular toggle switches. Maybe if you could post an image of the wiring instructions that would help us to give further advice.

Also a picture of the switches label showing the contact arrangement would really help. 

I don't think servo motors are meant to operate with passing contact switches. I know the Dapol signals come with either SPST or SPDT switches. Also reading instructions for wiring a regular servo to a Dapol signal on Megapoints sites Dave specifically says, 'do not use passing contact'. It's because, I think servos require a constant current to function correctly.

Dear both

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Interestingly, the product instructions say it supports toggle (recommended) or momentary action / passing contact  (='Alternative 3') on the diagram. I can't think what I'm doing wrong. My fallback is DCC but I'd rather have all my semaphores working using the same set of switches if possible. Let me know if any other ideas. Cheers

wiring.jpg

That clarifies things somewhat. The actual switches are only diverting the internal electronics switch path. Note they are not connected to external power, those are separate connections. The problem likely lies in your switch block module, which will have a common external connection applied to your passing contact switches. You need to separate that common from the switches you intend to use for this signal. I find it odd the single pole switch can either be latching or sprung off.

Check if there is any internal ganging between the common terminals. Use a multimeter to check continuity between the green connections if internal tracking is not apparent.

If there is ganging then keep your blocks of switches separate for different signal types.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all, sorry to repost here, I'm still a bit stuck here and waiting for my multimeter to arrive.

My options appear to be:

1. Use my existing Peco switch bank (as above)

2. Use the switches the signal came with (but the wires are short, I'd need some kind of consoles to mount them in etc -- ie I'd rather use my existing arrangement = 1!)

3. Switch to DCC (but my original plan had been to keep the signals switched analogue, and two semaphores are already just DC). Then I could presumably use Mimic switches - again I don't know if that works, and it's getting complex and complicated!

So just reading back on what @96RAF said - I'm not entirely sure what ganging is, but is one solution to try separating out the switches in the Peco module?

11 hours ago, Out Of Puff1707822593 said:

I'm not entirely sure what ganging is,

Ganging is where a single connection is made to several devices in part - e.g a single power supply to all switches and separate feeds to the devices they are controlling. Here it looks like the switches may have a common connection within the module. I asked but never saw confirmation or not of that. If so then it may be necessary to isolate that ganging.

From the wiring diagram the yellow common wire should go to green terminal and the other 2 switched feeds to the terminals above and below. There should be no external supply to the switch modules as this is fed separately to each signal.