HORNBY’S pre-order payment system needs sorting

Peachy

Think of this as more of a flag waving post rather than a moan please…

I pre-ordered the HST class 43 back in May 2023, of course by now the card I used is out of date. So now whilst people can buy the loco and have it delivered in a few days I’ve gotta wait for a snail mail sometime over the next week so that I can change payment source then go to the back of the queue….

Hope one day they get this sorted with a payment back-up option of using BACs details like you can with PayPal and Amazon as I’m sure pre order waiting times aren’t going to get much shorter anytime soon….. Hurumph..

1 minute ago, 96RAF said:

Why don't you ring them up and give them your new card details.

Just got off the phone, they won’t do that anymore without having first sent out the email

Edited by Peachy
Missed word

Chris, has the system changed as around mid last year my card expired and when I ordered something it was flagged up. I went to some page on this site and put my new card details in and within an hour or so, possibly less, my payment was taken and goods arrived a few days later.

• Like 1

Of all the things I find in Hornby this one is not one I regard as an issue. My card got cloned so I had to get another one, when my pre orders from over 2 years ago arrived I got an EMail from Hornby asking me to update my card, probably at the most a days delay. They usually take a lot longer to despatch the item normally about 7 days so what is a days delay in that process. Probably if I phoned them up it would be a lot quicker, the woman on their customer service is very good.

I will add when Rails had exactly the same issue they phoned me up and modified the card on all my pre orders at the same time but then Rails would do that.

Edited by ColinB
  • Like 1

It's interesting that I cannot edit my previous post to fix the grammatical error. Note to self do not post when annoyed with Hornby over their payment system 🤣

Anyway I guess a phone call to customer services in the morning will be required otherwise my passengers will have no buffet coach for lunch 😊

Mod note - there is a well discussed editing time limit after which the editing window closes.

The big issue is and there seems to be a common failing with a lot of web sites in that there is no facility to update your credit card details for an order. Most retail packages you buy the item and pay. Model Railways being that you order and pay in two years time probably makes it difficult. 

Fixed over the phone this morning. I noticed that the 7 pre orders that were successfully updated yesterday evening appear as 7 payments on my CC statement. Possibly the 8th triggered a security response and was blocked.

I was thinking at the time that so many payment updates was going to cause me hassle!

On 27/02/2024 at 10:45, Peachy said:

Ah the planets are aligned and the Gods are looking down favourably on me. I just got the payment notification and link to change payment source… panic over.. as you were chaps! 🤪

Good, now maybe you can do a video tutorial on setting up the recently released Legacy dongle so I don't have to read destructions 😋

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Too Tall said:

Good, now maybe you can do a video tutorial on setting up the recently released Legacy dongle so I don't have to read destructions 😋

Plug it in and treat it like a decoder, only instead of loading a sound profile to it you assign legacy locos that you have set up in your engine shed.

2 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

Great they have ditched the one with Roman numerals 🤣

The sweep second hand (barely visible) would point to the days of the week (Not shown)  - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Fri (half day), Sat, Sat, Sat, Sat, Sun, Sun, Sun, (long weekend).

• Haha 1