R30228 LMS Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2 6222 'Queen Mary' : Needs a 21 pin chip not 8 as shown on website.

TezzaG

Just to let everyone know, my new loco [as in title] has arrived today and it's 21 pin DCC, not 8 pin DCC as shown on Hornbys website. I have notified Hornby marketing by email.

This is quite annoying as I will now incurr extra expense to make it DCC, my old 8 pin TTS Coronation sound decoder wont go into it.

How easy or effective are convertors from 21 pin to 8pin?

Very easy & effective - but 2 notes of caution:
• make sure to get the correct one (both types of 8pin/21pin converters are available!)
• make sure there is enough space (especially height) to accommodate the extra converter PCB as well as harness & decoder.

Edited by LTSR_NSE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The biggest issue is space and height. The other consideration is how Hornby have mounted the 21 pin connector in the tender. On some of the loco the 21 pin is located upside down to avoid the mounting screw heads for the PCB mounting. With HM7000 these screws foul one of the connectors, so they raised it up by turning the board upside down. If this is the case the 8 pin socket will be hard up against the PCB so you won't be able to get the header in. As to the converters generally the big issue is whether the function outputs are wired in, sometimes you have to put a connection into the adapter to enable them. This a steam loco which I assume has no lights so it doesn't matter. Unfortunately you need to try it. If it is anything like my Coronation loco, space is incredibly tight in the tender because of the sloping coal bunker. 

• Like 1

Tezza, might I make a comment on your thread title which, as it stands, is very detailed but at the same time tells me nothing. 

The trick to a good title is that it summarizes the question you are asking or the info you are reporting. 

In this instance, adding “has 21-pin DCC Connector” makes a big difference. For me at least, it changes my response from “what on earth is/are he/she/they on about and do I want to use part of my life to find out?” To either “not interested move on” or “I had that same question in mind so will find out what people are saying”. 

Not only that, future searching on the topic will be better too. 

11 hours ago, Fishmanoz said:

Tezza, might I make a comment on your thread title which, as it stands, is very detailed but at the same time tells me nothing. 

The trick to a good title is that it summarizes the question you are asking or the info you are reporting. 

In this instance, adding “has 21-pin DCC Connector” makes a big difference. For me at least, it changes my response from “what on earth is/are he/she/they on about and do I want to use part of my life to find out?” To either “not interested move on” or “I had that same question in mind so will find out what people are saying”. 

Not only that, future searching on the topic will be better too. 

Yes good idea for the future, I dont seem to be able to change the title now though.

• RB51 changed the title to R30228 LMS Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2 6222 'Queen Mary' : Needs a 21 pin chip not 8 as shown on website.