Buying from Modellbahnshop-lippe

Hi

i I have ordered more than is decent from Lippe.

I have always found them prompt in their dispatch and of course their prices are quite keen

Just make sure that your order value is not too high for you will incur the wrath of the customs boys

Nigel

• Like 1

they are very good to order from.  the VAT  on all orders are minus we don't have to pay VAT in germany  as we are not part of the eu 

we should pay uk VAT on each order but to who  and how.  all orders  are less uk vat as well so we pay £20 per £100 less 

a hornby tanker is £19 compared to£ 23  the £135 i think is  not  with delivery  included but i keep all my orders below £135 with delivery just in case but if some one can tell  my different i would be grateful 😉

8 hours ago, happy tt said:

we should pay uk VAT on each order but to who  and how.  all orders  are less uk vat as well so we pay £20 per £100 less 

a hornby tanker is £19 compared to£ 23  the £135 i think is  not  with delivery  included but i keep all my orders below £135 with delivery just in case but if some one can tell  my different i would be grateful 😉

I think that you pay £16.66 less per £100 giving £83.34. If you add 20% VAT to £83.34 you get £100. (It may be 1p out depending on how rounding to the nearest penny is handled). I mention this so the best decision is made on buying.

20 hours ago, SMR248 said:

if you don't want to be stung for tax don't exceed £135 including postage.

Are you sure that you pay tax on model railway items (HS code 9503003000)? Here in Denmark you do not pay tax on model railway items, only VAT, when ordering from the UK.

Edited by HST Mainline

Quote from gov.co.uk:

>>

Customs Duty

You’ll be charged Customs Duty on all goods sent from outside the UK (or the UK and the EU if you’re in Northern Ireland) if they’re either:

• excise goods
  • worth more than £135 
  • <<
    This should put an end to the discussion.
Edited by ateshci

The rate depends on the type of goods and where they came from - use the Trade Tariff service to check duty rates

The above statement is from the same page, so let's check the duty rate (here's the link: https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9503003000?country=DE#)

image.thumb.png.4c6c6b50f6c9f75c8b1a217a2b391dec.png

image.thumb.png.45a9729c9e6197fba099ddc1bfbaa9ee.png

My point is: I interpret this as the import duty rate is 0%. You pay VAT regardless of the value of the product.

There is a chance that you do not pay anything else than shipping and UK VAT on model trains and accessories ordered from the EU (Modellbahnshop-Lippe), if the parcel is declared correctly.

Here in Denmark I only pay Danish VAT when ordering from Hornby. They even have free shipping over £100, which is totally nice. 👍

• Like 1

I said i don't know about the vat i wish i did . all i do is keep my order below £100+post £10.67+vat just in case .

I wish i could go back to  the  good old days 'when you could order £300 +post of just 4 euros. 

I would order 3 or 4 times a year but that was so long ago 😂.

14 hours ago, Postman On The Rails said:

If VAT is charged and the item comes through Royal Mail there is an £8 charge on top 

Aren't those £8 for checking the parcel and that the VAT is correct? I am pretty sure the webshop (if they want) can register with the UK customs and do the VAT handling for the customer, so you save the "penalty" at the border.

The Hornby web shop does this the other way around.  When you order from Hornby, they handle the VAT and flag the parcel in the customs system. That way the parcel flies through customs without any additional charges. You only pay what you pay Hornby.

I expect there is a way to do the same thing the other way around, but it depends on the webshop.

When shopping online in the UK, I only shop at stores that are members of IOSS (Import One Stop Shop EU). AFAIK Hattons used to do the same thing, but they are not here anymore. Sadly.

For UK webshops it is definitely worth considering as it will keep them interesting to customers inside the EU. It is a bit more work, but most can be automated.

11 hours ago, happy tt said:

I said i don't know about the vat i wish i did . all i do is keep my order below £100+post £10.67+vat just in case .

I wish i could go back to  the  good old days 'when you could order £300 +post of just 4 euros. 

I would order 3 or 4 times a year but that was so long ago 😂.

Someone’s ruined all that 😂 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HST Mainline said:

Aren't those £8 for checking the parcel and that the VAT is correct? I am pretty sure the webshop (if they want) can register with the UK customs and do the VAT handling for the customer, so you save the "penalty" at the border.

The Hornby web shop does this the other way around.  When you order from Hornby, they handle the VAT and flag the parcel in the customs system. That way the parcel flies through customs without any additional charges. You only pay what you pay Hornby.

I expect there is a way to do the same thing the other way around, but it depends on the webshop.

When shopping online in the UK, I only shop at stores that are members of IOSS (Import One Stop Shop EU). AFAIK Hattons used to do the same thing, but they are not here anymore. Sadly.

For UK webshops it is definitely worth considering as it will keep them interesting to customers inside the EU. It is a bit more work, but most can be automated.

Nope the £8 is a standard handling fee for Customs Items where a charge is levied and  even more if parcel force 

hi keep us posted none of mine has been open the msl tape is ok   since twenty twenty there is no invoice in the box anyway .

how do they do it anyway , my deliveries end up in stanstead for some reason that's an airport  less then three days from germany .

but a week in uk 😊lol

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, happy tt said:

hi keep us posted none of mine has been open the msl tape is ok   since twenty twenty there is no invoice in the box anyway .

how do they do it anyway , my deliveries end up in stanstead for some reason that's an airport  less then three days from germany .

but a week in uk 😊lol

Standsted is their main UK hub and then it moves to Bishop Stortford into their network well it used many years ago 

or i see, hope its ok i would love to buy some nice locos from them but got to keep it below £135 or get hit with the duty on it.

i don't know if it's the full amount or 10%-20% of the amount more 40%  its the vat +the duty .vat i am ok with but the duty ,