These always sting a little.

Hi Dark Red Cape

I must apologize.  I lost all my mind reading skills, directly after my surgical operation🙃

Perhaps you are upset that you paid list price, and now Hornby has offered a significant reduction.  The converse would be that you waited for a price reduction, and Hornby sold out.

We have all been there.  I comfort myself by acknowledging that I was happy with my purchase when it was made.  That I supported the institution that is Hornby. 

Sure, I could have gambled on a price reduction.  I didn't.  I was happy then, I'm still satisfied now.  

Bee

• Like 3

I bought one this morning, I was amazed at the price reduction. I did buy the class 87 City of Glasgow at full price less 10% and now it is on a discount. It is surprising a couple of years ago you couldn't get the first Hornby Dublo Duchess of Atholl for love nor money unless you pre ordered it off Hornby. I picked up the HD Dwight D Eisenhower for a nearly good discount price, so obviously not many people wanted that one either.

There is a bit of a difference between the first new release Dublo model for decades (limited to 500 units) & approx 8 A4s released in 2-3yrs (each with 500 units).

There almost certainly are more than 500 people interested in collecting Dublo models - however there apparently aren’t 500 millionaires interested in collecting Dublo models.

• Like 1

I’m happy I got mine, the Dublo’s are beautiful locos. Saving £110 would have still been nice. This applies to anything you buy, then see at a steep discount after you paid full price for yours. 

But @LTSR_NSE does make a good point about the availability of the Dublo models after release. Only 500, and still available after all pre-orders are met, and those that went to model stores. Maybe £320 per loco is just too much. Could be this class of locos just isn’t popular. Who knows. 

• Like 1

I must admit I am surprised, 500 units is not a lot to sell and I doubt China likes doing a production run that small. The original HDs were about £280 which seems a more reasonable figure. If you Google that model, Hornby is the only one selling it at that discount. Mind you the new A4s have that dodgy tender connector, I must admit mine work fine, but it seems there have been issues with it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyMac1707817969 said:

Gaugemaster were doing them for £195

Well they are not anymore. Bure Valley were doing Dwight D Eisenhower for less than £250, I got mine from Jadlam which was about the same price as they do free post and packing. Everywhere else they were about £280 going upwards.

I got my Dublo’s from Hornby direct, but with Hornby gutting the Collectors Club, I’ll be shopping anywhere that’s cheaper now.

My non-Hornby go-to was always Hattons, but my second choice was always Olivia’s Trains, a website that I’ve not seen anyone else on this forum mention.

They have an even better selection than Hattons did.

Olivia’s Trains & Jadlam have both in the past put their prices above RRP on certain extremely popular models.

(Personally I have also never seen Olivia’s offer any item below RRP - but I might have failed to notice when they have?!)

I believe this may account for the absence/limited amount of recommendations these retailers receive compared to others on this forum.

In the interest of balance, in recent times Jadlam have offered specific items (that they are possibly finding harder to shift?) at quite significant reductions - these do occasionally get a mention here.

Edited by LTSR_NSE

Yes Jadlam had that instance a couple of years ago which they put up the price of some hard to get item. I must admit of late they have been pretty good, I have bought quite a few models off them recently that were priced very competitive. All I will say about Olivias is that if you want an item that has sold out everywhere else, they will have it, often at a price plus inflation if it is quite old. Generally I normally deal with Bure Valley as I would rather support a preserved railway with my purchases. Like a lot of other people my Hornby membership lapsed once I stopped getting the discount with them. I forgot Jadlam also do a points system a bit like Hornby, I recently got £5.00 off an already discounted loco because I had collected enough points, plus they do free post and packing.

12 hours ago, ColinB said:

Yes Jadlam had that instance a couple of years ago which they put up the price of some hard to get item. I must admit of late they have been pretty good, I have bought quite a few models off them recently that were priced very competitive. All I will say about Olivias is that if you want an item that has sold out everywhere else, they will have it, often at a price plus inflation if it is quite old. Generally I normally deal with Bure Valley as I would rather support a preserved railway with my purchases. Like a lot of other people my Hornby membership lapsed once I stopped getting the discount with them. I forgot Jadlam also do a points system a bit like Hornby, I recently got £5.00 off an already discounted loco because I had collected enough points, plus they do free post and packing.

Jadlam were lambasted on this very forum many moons ago for cancelling a pre-order (at a very good price) stating not available, then within no time at all reposting the same item at a much higher price. That put me off ever using them.

When I first started to get into this hobby, I visited just about every model shop website there is, and seeing how unreasonably overpriced some items were, it put me off ever using Jadlam.

But then on the flip side, I have used their eBay store a few times, because they had good prices. 

20 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Jadlam were lambasted on this very forum many moons ago for cancelling a pre-order (at a very good price) stating not available, then within no time at all reposting the same item at a much higher price. That put me off ever using them.

I know I didn't use them for that same reason for a long while. In the last 6 months they have done some pretty reasonable offers many where the difference between them and another Retailer is more than £50, which is why I have bought off them. I definitely wouldn't preorder off them. Things have changed a lot since those times, Hornby ditched their tier system I imagine because it is really difficult to shift non essential retail items. I suspect Jadlam have done the same. Should the good times return who knows whether they might do it again but at the moment I just don't think many companies can get away with it, except one that has been mentioned in this Forum. That one in particular causes warnings by the Administrator on RMWeb whenever their name is mentioned. 

Edited by ColinB