Excellent advice on gradients

Rallymatt

I’m popping this link here as TT:120 is resulting in a big surge in new layout builds and many fresh modellers. There has been quite a bit of interest in inclines/gradients etc for new layouts. Märklin of Sweden is a fantastic modellers resource, Martin is entertaining, always happy and very generous with his knowledge. This particular video has lots of useful info on using gradients on a model railway so hope it inspires and helps. 
Id recommend subscribing to his channel and catch up on the many tutorial videos he has made. This guy is a professional but happy to share. 

• Like 3

TT:120 wheels and flanges are a little bigger in proportion to modern OO/HO (N similar) and lack of traction tyres will reduce the tractive ability further… might be a worthwhile experiment to establish what that really means. 

Most important is the vertical transient radius from level to grade. It should be 5'  both at start and end. 
As traction tyres are nowhere in sight for the A3/4s, one may consider magnets and steel sheet like e. g. 'Powerbase' under the track.

4 minutes ago, ateshci said:

Most important is the vertical transient radius from level to grade. It should be 5'  both at start and end. 
As traction tyres are nowhere in sight for the A3/4s, one may consider magnets and steel sheet like e. g. 'Powerbase' under the track.

What do you mean 'traction tyres are nowhere in sight for the A3/4's"?

Are they looking at putting them on?

I certainly hope not, tyres are okay for cars and the Paris Metro but definately not for our trains.

I know the age-old discussion between purists and others. It doesn't do away with the fact that:
a) our grades are too steep in most cases
b) the locos' chassis are not flexible as the prototype's
c) our tolerances are nowhere near scale

But we want to see some trains going over the hill - so there must be 'a lot of compromising on the way to my horizon'
Traction tyres - of course, if possible!

• Like 1

Since TT 120 was announced nearly everyone shouts "at last, true scale", well have scale gradients then.

Keep tyres for the roads (and European models if they wish), I have read the European 66 will have tyres, thankfully I will have a British one without.