HM7000 R7040 Bluetooth Dongle can operate more than one TTS/DCC loco at the same time

I have been using the HM7000 R7040 dongle for some 3 weeks now, and have noticed that I can operate more than one loco with a single dongle. Each new loco is initially added to the Engine Shed and set up to communicate with the dongle's Bluetooth address. I then start using one TTS/DCC loco from the engine shed on my Ipad. Once this is running I then choose another TTS/DCC loco from the Engine Shed, which is also assigned to the dongle, and start using this one.  Both locos work independently of each other. I have now added 7 more TTS/DCC locos to the Engine Shed, all assigned to the same dongle, and have found that I can add and control each of the 9 locos set up on this one dongle, all working independently of each other on my Ipad. All the locos are TTS sound locos. 9 locos is my personal limit at the moment because my layout is not large enough to handle any more at one time.

The theory suggests that the Bluetooth signal from my Ipad to the dongle should only be able to control one loco independently, and that any other locos using this same Bluetooth signal should each run at the same speed/direction/etc as the the first one. 

Indeed, when I assign each new TTS/DCC loco to the dongle, I have to unassign all other locos assigned to the dongle. However, once that new loco is in the Engine Shed and assigned to the dongle, I can then select it from the Engine Shed and run it without the need to unassign any of the other locos assigned to the dongle in the Engine Shed, and run it independently of the other locos at the same time.

Does any one have any ideas how this is possible?

Andrew

@Andrew-577131 - you can certainly have multiple locos operating simultaneously (the dongle merely passes commands between handset and decoder via DCC controller.)

Bluetooth communication is not like radio control (where a constant signal is transmitted) - it is simply used to send change commands to the decoder as/when directed - the decoder is actually controlling the loco.

• Like 1

@Andrew-577131

Para 1 - correct

Para 2 - you are confusing this with controlling more than one MAC addresses at the same time (consisting). In any case you can only (for now) select a single throttle on screen whilst other locos run in the background upon their last command. This is no different from a normal DCC controller.

Para 3 - again you are getting confused with loading TTS function profiles which requires an orchestrated sequence pending fettling of a bug. The dongle has no technical limit to assignments but practically around 20 is a sensible restriction.

In regards to legacy TTS fitted loco's, all the dongle does it communicate between the apple/android device to your DCC controller. It doesn't connect directly to the locos themselves. So anything your DCC controller can do the app can do as well, if you set one loco running from your DCC controller this doesnt start all your other locos running at the same time. And its the same with the app.

Or to put it another way, the dongle just turns the app into a remote controller for your Elite or Select using the app’s GUI. 

And just because you can only run 9 at a time doesn’t mean you can’t set up more then just use the 9 you want. 

OK. Thanks for all of your replies. I understand the theory now.

So why does Hornby state that you must have more than one dongle to run more than one DCC/TTS loco?

Surely I have the same functionality with the one dongle for DDC/TTS locos as I do for TXS locos?

What does a second dongle do that I can't do already on one dongle?

37 minutes ago, Andrew-577131 said:

OK. Thanks for all of your replies. I understand the theory now.

So why does Hornby state that you must have more than one dongle to run more than one DCC/TTS loco?

Surely I have the same functionality with the one dongle for DDC/TTS locos as I do for TXS locos?

What does a second dongle do that I can't do already on one dongle?

That first emboldened statement is wrong. In theory there is no limit to the number of decoders you can assign to a single dongle but in practice 20 is a reasonable limit.

A second dongle can be used to run a different set of say 20 decoders from the same app but usually it would be linked to a separate handheld for that user to run their own batch of locos. Hence the term club adaptor, in that many club members could have their own dongle linked to their own handheld and they simply plug their dongle into the club controller and run their own locos from their phone/tablet.

Use of multiple dongles requires your DCC controller to have more than one Xpressnet (RJ) socket else you will have to use the splitter, which is the same as the Select multiple walkabout sets methodology.

It may be that you have a second controller running an accessory bus for points or signals. That controller could also have a dongle but at present the app does not allow for adding of a new accessory vehicle to the engine shed only a new locomotive vehicle. This will be a future update.

Interested to know where Hornby makes this (incorrect) statement, I can’t find it?

I’ve looked under the dongle in the Shop and in the dongle quick start guide.  In fact the guide is quite clear - separate dongles are for separate users, not for separate decoders.

Even distinguishing DCC and TTS makes no sense. A TTS decoder is just a Hornby DCC decoder with sound using their TTS (twin track sound) system.