So few Model ships

Rogus McBogus

A number of factors contribute to this.  First and foremost more people seem to be interested in aircraft.  Even then, more are interested in warplanes and hence we get fewer civilian types and more warplanes.

Secondly, 1:700 and 1:350 seem to have cornered the market.  Besides the Airfix "fleet" I only know of a very few 1:600 ship models and most of those are 1950's / 60's examples where detailing is a far cry from the standard expected today.

I find I'm the odd one out still building to 1:600.  No problem though.  I like the scale.  Not too big like 1:350 and neither too small like 1:700.  I've bought all the 1:600 types I could lay my hand on but for the last 15 years or so have concentrated on liners...... this has basically mean scratchbuilding.

However, I will shortly start building a kit of the Airfix SS France I acquired but this time I'll build it as the Norway.  (I already have a France).  Should make an interesting pair.  I will probably start a thread and post the build on-line ....... but at the rate I build it will probably take me some 4 or 5 months!

• Like 1

Ships still are a minority interest, what I get from attending model shows in and around London  is that it is a growing area of the hobby. With what Airfix are turning out in other genres, It would be great for ship modellers if  Airfix were to some gaps in 1/350th. RN WW2 destroyers, we only have a tribal in plastic, and it has a few flaws. An Abdiel class fast minelayer would be excellent, any of the war emergency destroyers, J/K/N class, option for a flotilla leader, Mountbatten's Kelly, the Polish N class ORP Piorun, both fairly well known. HMS Ajax / Achilles. A Batch 2 Dido, HMS Sheffield, HMS Norfolk, HMS Suffolk. to name but a few. 

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

Si

• Ratch locked and unlocked this topic