Resetting a Reverse Loop Module

ModelerXYZ

Hi everyone. As many may know, I run a DCC setup nowadays. I have a triangle on my layout. I had a derailment on one of the points, well within the Insulated Rail Joiners. The Reverse loop module's red light started flashing, but the Elite didn't show a short. This now means that nothing can move on the reverse loop until I turn off the controller and turn it back on as this resets the RLM. It doesn't affect train workings on other lines though they are on the same controller. Would putting a double pole switch in the circuit be an option to avoid turning off the controller each time this happens? Thanks everyone, XYZ

Hi guys, its a Hornby module, and on further observation I think that it may reset itself after a while. Otherwise the quick way to make it reset that there is no fault any more is to turn it off and on again.XYZ

The Hornby RLM is a simple 2 wires in and 2 wires out device. It has an internal self resetting 4 amp fuse so if that is tripping then there is a fault with the unit. It has a sensitivity switch marked Elite-Select. Are you on the correct setting. There is a mechanical relay which may have gone south. Can you hear it clicking as the unit detects an out of phase condition.

• 1 month later...

The problem still occours, but I have put a workaround in place as an alternative to turning the whole system off and on again, and that is to put a double pole switch in between the Elite and the Reverse Loop module which means I can reset it without turning off the entire system. XYZ

12 hours ago, ModelerXYZ said:

The problem still occurs, but I have put a workaround in place as an alternative to turning the whole system off and on again, and that is to put a double pole switch in between the Elite and the Reverse Loop module which means I can reset it without turning off the entire system. XYZ

It does sound as if the module has a fault but you could try swapping over the feeder wires at the input end to flip the relay onto the other ‘channel’.