TTA tanks wrong eras

I've just read a BRM magazine review on the TTA tank wagons and,  as I thought, two of them are labeled with the wrong era. The Total wagon is era 8 and the Esso wagon is era 6. Why can't Hornby get these things right? It's misleading customers!

12 minutes ago, Mallard 1410 said:

I've just read a BRM magazine review on the TTA tank wagons and,  as I thought, two of them are labeled with the wrong era. The Total wagon is era 8 and the Esso wagon is era 6. Why can't Hornby get these things right? It's misleading customers!

I totally agree that product mislabelling is frustrating. For those wondering, he is referring to the Total Wagon which should be labelled Era 8 because it features the Sector logo for petroleum products. That iconography was only introduced in 1987, which falls outside the Era 7 period which ends in 1986. That's a definite mistake. 

I think the ESSO one is a little more debatable. While clearly in a livery that was implemented in Era 6, that livery was not phased out well into Era 7. I think it has the updated suspension, so it should fit in either Era 6 or Era 7. The TOPS codes were implemented on the TTAs incrementally, and you can even find some pictures of TTAs without TOPS codes as late as the early 1980s. So, it's not a stretch to imagine a TOPS Era freight train hauling the ESSO tankers. I'd be willing to take correction on this point though, since sometimes there are subtleties in details that I might overlook. 

But in general... Yeah, you're right. 

• Like 2

Eras have always been a bit of a moveable feast! Often the railway doesn’t conform to the neat boxes we like to tick. As an example an 08 with early crest survived in its ancient livery well into 80’s wagons even more so. 

• Like 2

Hello to all! How about T12 tank wagons?  The new "BP" and "Bensol" models in today's Hornby presentation on YT are described as era 2/3, while the designation on the website www.hornby.com directly indicates era 4... British railways are still not fully known to me  but the division into modeling eras on the continent is much more clear and consistent... Era 2/3 (potentially, therefore, era 2) and era 4 are a dramatic difference!  the markings on the new models resemble earlier T12 tank models in TT (so era 2/3) but maybe I'm wrong?  Can the red frame of a wagon for transporting hazardous substances be a determinant of era 4?

1 hour ago, Bipper said:

Hello to all! How about T12 tank wagons?  The new "BP" and "Bensol" models in today's Hornby presentation on YT are described as era 2/3, while the designation on the website www.hornby.com directly indicates era 4... British railways are still not fully known to me  but the division into modeling eras on the continent is much more clear and consistent... Era 2/3 (potentially, therefore, era 2) and era 4 are a dramatic difference!  the markings on the new models resemble earlier T12 tank models in TT (so era 2/3) but maybe I'm wrong?  Can the red frame of a wagon for transporting hazardous substances be a determinant of era 4?

Pretty sure they are supposed to be era 2/3 like last years T12 tank wagons. The BP wagon has LMS on the solebar, so that would make it era 3.

• Thanks 1