Small Price Rise - Rolling Stock

PeterM67

Following todays release announcement I was looking at the pricing of the new rolling stock and noticed that the prices where slightly higher than the existing items. For example the 2 new Pullmans are priced at £53.99 whereas the old models where £53.49. Similar for the 2 new tankers which are also 50p more than the old models.

At first I thought this applied to just the new releases but on checking I notice that there has been an across the board increase of 50p to all rolling stock. I have a lot of these items either on pre-order or ordered and delivered in the last few months so was able to check the prices and can see that items have increased from £xx.49 to £xx.99. This works out at approximately 1% per item which isn't much but then until recently most of us had a 15% discount. I'm not sure exactly when this price rise happened - i.e. was it today to slip in under cover of the announcement however it must have been fairly recent - not that I check regularly as all my phase 2 purchases are on pre-order.

Locomotives and train sets appear to have been not impacted at this time.

It was around this time last year that prices went up, so it wouldn’t be a surprise. It’s a new financial year for Hornby too.

If that’s all the increases are, then it’s pretty good given how inflation has been over the last year and how much disruption there’s been to shipping costs. 

Edited by Moccasin
Grammar
  • Like 1

To look on the bright side it means no need to pre order the new rolling stock "just in case". I can sit back and order when in stock so avoiding any shipping charge complications and from where-ever is cheapest on the day 😃

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeterM67 said:

To look on the bright side it means no need to pre order the new rolling stock "just in case". I can sit back and order when in stock so avoiding any shipping charge complications and from where-ever is cheapest on the day 😃

Yes that is the change from when we had the discount. Probably doesn’t help Hornby in determining demand though. 

I was a bit taken aback earlier when I realised the new Tanker were 1p under £27 each! Without any kind of incentive over and above the discounts available elsewhere, buying direct from Hornby is less attractive now. Even increasing the reward points % so the equivalent discount is greater wouldn’t necessarily help.

Edited by moawkwrd

Their trading statement is likely only a few days away. Will be interesting to see if their direct sales are still growing. If they are, they probably see little need to offer bigger incentives.

I’m more inclined to use Hornby as I get Avios and can use Amex, but that’s a bit of a niche reason.

The TTAs were £24.49 until recently, but then retailers started showing their RRP as £25.99. Sure enough, Hornby’s price went up to that too.

The biggest increase is in the 66s I think. Pretty sure that at launch they were under £100, then they went to about £110. Now they’re £130. My pre-order with club discount is £88 - which makes me happy!

• Like 1

On the tanker front, the two liveries announced look fantastic (find me anything from Hornby TT:120 that doesn’t look amazing) I do hope the ‘draggy’ running on this chassis has been sorted. I think I have my Mobil ones running the best they ever will, careful work on the insides of the side frames and chassis. I have toyed with idea of ‘opening out’ the chassis a fraction with heat and a block 

• Like 1