2024 Range Q&A - Magnetic Couplers

At the Q&A session there was mention that there's a TT:120 magnetic couplers project in the works.

Someone has posted that the OO versions are really good. Can anyone confirm if the OO version has magnets that go between the sleepers?

I didn't imagine it, did I? Or has my brain got befuddled because I've been playing with neodymium magnets for the last few weeks!

Martin

I think you are confusing the magnetic couplings. Most like Hornby and Hunt etc are just magnets that connect . Kadee and Dapol Easi Shunts are mechanical couplings that are opened via embedded magnets. I had no joy with these at all. 
The big difference between Hornby and Hunt is the construction of the shank. Hornby use thermo plastic that is durable and should last decades. Hunt use 3D printed plastic powder that can be brittle (many instances of failure in OO) and long term 3D printed plastic powder will degrade and fail

• Like 1

Whilst not a big fan of magnetic couplings, I have recently drawn up and 3D printed a specific design for my Arnold N German ICE 3 sets.  This was prompted by buying very cheaply a couple of spares/repairs 8 coach sets in the knowledge that some of the usual metal coupling pins were missing, and also said coupling pins are a real nuisance (to put it politely) as I've found over the last 20 years since I bought my first set 🙂   At least replacing with the magnetic couplings allows for easier separation and storage of each coach in its box.

This 3D print replaces the entire KK self-centering component of the original Arnold design and uses readily available 2mm x 2mm neo-magnets, a North and South pair in each pocket so any two units will connect either way round. They're printed in a touch but flexible resin which isn't as brittle as some of the Hunt couplings.
ArnoldICE3magneticcouplingv7.thumb.jpg.8250d9841d62b8c127b7853f602b913a.jpg
IMG_7087.thumb.JPG.d8258f816742a11ea1d75275496d711f.JPG

• Like 1

I’ve 3D printed some slightly different magnetic couplers. I tried both plastic and resin, but it looks like the resin will be the one that works better. I’ll post some pictures next week when I get back to work.

• Like 2

Some pics of the resin couplings. I'm waiting for some new magnets to insert into the holes so can't test them quite yet. There was only one length on Thingiverse but It should be easy to make them a bit longer between the NEM pocket fixing and the magnets if need be.

Screenshot_2020-10-27_212642.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

• Like 1