Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B

Time for the Airfix Spitfire PR.XIX from the Club’s 1:72 D-Day Duo. I know it’s not a Typhoon but even Scalemates catalogue the Duo set against the Typhoon, and I can see why  

IMG_1448.thumb.jpeg.77ec07040e7a9c28bf044f47f5c01a85.jpeg

I had forgotten what a disappointingly simple kit this Spitfire is. I think it’s based on 2009/10 tooling but it’s a far cry from the quality and detail of the Hawker Typhoon, its partner in this duo kit. This is the kit that Airfix somehow dropped in a fighter jet pilot of dubious scale. Fortunately I’ve a plethora of unused WW2 pilots to hand. 

IMG_1452.thumb.jpeg.21de059b8024a9af6af01609e1362e16.jpeg

As I know this kit is far from a looker with its wheels down … the undercarriage and wheel bays lacking in any detail, I’m going to place this model flying wheels up above my D-Day Assault Typhoon diorama.

IMG_1453.thumb.jpeg.044a4164d3a5d29c6576f0d70f158984.jpeg

Being so simple I’m close to finished after a couple of hours. I’m going to let the glue on these bits cure over night then will fit the propeller and then wings to fuselage. If memory serves me correct, the latter is going to need quite a bit of tape and another glue curing session to get all the gaps closed up. This will obviously give me chance to build some of the vehicles and make a start on the diorama base 😊

The completion of my Airfix D-Day Duo Club Spitfire PR.XIX is getting closer to joining the Typhoon!

D-Day stripes masked and painted … don’t think I’ll ever use decals for these again … and all other decals applied 😊

28442E94-2545-4E0A-AE8D-0A28DFFA8919.thumb.jpeg.1deae5ae026317c1437b31c600bafe12.jpeg

• Like 2

Because you said that you are never going to use the D-Day stripes decals ever again, I am taking it that you had a problem applying them, and/or you didn’t like the look of them, once they had been applied, so I am wondering if you would elucidate on this matter, because I am interested in your experience and thoughts on this matter, if you wouldn’t mind sharing them?

IMG_1545.jpg.c4c6f0611c499b48fbd8bf0955c8d5a1.jpg

My D-Day Duo are done ... loved the Typhoon but found the Spitfire underwhelming. I really don't understand why, after all these years, no one has produced a 1:72 Spitfire with the same quality as Airfix has has produced with their Typhoon.

IMG_1543.jpg.36c5d08b30f9b76bd9e7ae80f3787161.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg.2544fb8b7125f9bb30b4a0baf6caf282.jpg

On a positive point, I'll probably use at least this Typhoon, and may be the Spitfire, in the D-Day Air Assault diorama, they being much more accurate subjects for "The Longest Day" than the "A Bridge Too Far" Typhoon supplied with that kit 😉 ...

So in the words of Walt Disney "That's All Folks! ..." 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jon-1296662 said:

Because you said that you are never going to use the D-Day stripes decals ever again, I am taking it that you had a problem applying them, and/or you didn’t like the look of them, once they had been applied, so I am wondering if you would elucidate on this matter, because I am interested in your experience and thoughts on this matter, if you wouldn’t mind sharing them?

Many reasons:

1. I just personally can't get on with large decals in general, I find they don't stick well to irregular curves and tear too easily
  2. I find that the stripes either overlap or at worse don't join underneath
  3. On the Spitfire, no hole is cut in the decal to fit over the camera thus requiring a bit of knife blade action
  4. On occasions I've found the white too opaque such that you see the camouflage markings beneath
  5. And finally, I find it easier, more rewarding and more realistically looking to paint them ... panel lines like paint better than decals 
  • Thanks 1

On 21/04/2024 at 18:41, Tour de Airfix said:

Many reasons:

1. I just personally can't get on with large decals in general, I find they don't stick well to irregular curves and tear too easily
  2. I find that the stripes either overlap or at worse don't join underneath
  3. On the Spitfire, no hole is cut in the decal to fit over the camera thus requiring a bit of knife blade action
  4. On occasions I've found the white too opaque such that you see the camouflage markings beneath
  5. And finally, I find it easier, more rewarding and more realistically looking to paint them ... panel lines like paint better than decals 

I am truly grateful, for this concisely and patiently explained answer to my question (which will be looked upon as being silly by some, and they’re not necessarily wrong, if they are used to conversing with people who are current modellers) about the decals, which I posed as someone who is totally new to the Airfix club(it’s my first week), and who has not made a model for nearly fifty years. And I wrote it, because I am interested in making my models to look as good as I possibly can, so that I can be proud of them. Which is why I am so grateful for this concise and patient reply.

• Like 2

I used the kit decals on this Mosquito, but it was such a faff, requiring numerous applications of setting solutions, I wish I hadn't bothered. After they went on I had to overpaint the white because there was insufficient density in the decal ink to prevent the colours underneath grinning through...

P1010196.JPG.308dc08c9349f1a7f3abb1e0299568d4.JPG

Once bitten twice shy, this Spitfire had the stripes painted. I started with white primer over everything, then masked off for the black.

16.jpg.135c54e68c6120299666ffc7142532f9.jpg

Once the black had cured it was masked over and then the rest of the colours added. Much less stressful.

20.jpg.0aaa2eb688f1793302bba004cbe28832.jpg

Edited by peebeep
  • Like 3