Model railway baseboards

About 12 months ago, I bought one of the Scalemodel Scenery modular baseboards (layout in a box 1100 x 220mm). This seems to have been a mistake for various reasons and I’m struggling to see how I can use it/expand it in the way I want and am thinking of jumping to something totally different before my patience and enthusiasm disappears entirely.

My woodworking skills aren’t up to much and my toolbox is somewhat sparse, so will likely buy a more adaptable baseboard kit for future expansion. I’m thinking of starting with 1200mm x 900mm (4ft x 3ft) which I can expand to 1800mm or 2400m (both 900mm wide) someday. The alternatives like Grainge and Hodder and White Rose all seem to use plywood with very deep sections (100mm deep) which seems excessive when the old frame standard was usually 50mm (2inch) - such depth will make it hard to store away. I appreciate that this is because you need that depth for strength and a ply frame is still lightweight, but despite having a 2.5 bed house, spare space is very much at a premium - both for using the layout and for storing it. 

I know some/many will scoff at my ineptitude at basic skills, but buying something purpose built that has pre-drilled holes for wiring and joining boards and is unlikely to fall apart if I pick it up, would make more sense, while buying the right tools will likely cost more than the kits. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative baseboard kit suppliers for something that has a shallower depth?

Thanks in advance for patient and understanding replies. 

The traditional 2" x 1" "train set" frame is a bit shallow if you plan to use some of the larger under-board point motors (eg. Tortoise motors).  10cm depth is sensible, giving space for point motors, wiring, fold-up legs etc.   

I have a preference for open-frame construction (or in my case "open-box"), I don't like flat-top baseboards except for busy/urban scenes.  Leaving the top open and having the trackbed on risers allows me to run scenery above and below track level.  I'm not a fan of MDF, I use 9mm ply. 

Construction photos of part of my N gauge layout...

DSCN0058a.jpg.bb66c18df7d6b135a367462090379c0b.jpg

DSCN0121.thumb.JPG.4e78fcb8c5b5d6c590eec85781eef081.JPG

45129552_1813355138732667_7840823966942887936_o.thumb.jpg.71d31e4822c809bbf1bf2b5ae15f82a0.jpg

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Like 2

Not one to scoff at another's skills.  No one is born with innate knowledge of woodworking.  Its just experience, time and care.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum @Moccasin .  I have a shop that I've spent a lifetime accumulating tools, and the scars indicative of the mistakes.  Of which I have made plenty.  

Nothing will be better than the one you make.  Period.  Full stop.  It will be ideal for purpose and place, since you designed it for that spot.  

Your first one will not be "perfect".  So what.  No one will take notice.   They will be too busy train spotting.   

A small outlay in handtools will be less than the cost of baseboard kits you buy in the long run, by far.  You do not need an insane shop.  

Just my 2 pence

Bee

• Like 1

Decent quality birch ply (I used 12 mm because it was free 😁) but not particularly deep framework. The layout is not transported so don’t have the considerations Nick made re point motors etc although what I have all fits within the depth. I guess mine is a bit is hybrid, the track areas are all flat with viaducts across a ‘drop down’ board and scenery infills to get the range in elevation, again being a permanent thing it’s tagged on and not made for moving. It event of a move it’s semi sacrificial. If I was making anything to be moved it would be quite different. 
On an interesting note, I saw the guys that are doing the TT:120 Dawlish exhibition layout are using ply to make a frame and foam blocks as track bed scenery based. Certainly potentially very light and easy to move. If the ply construction is done well also very strong. It’s not an option I have ever considered. 

Thanks all. Lots to think about. My problem is space despite having a decent sized house. That and being unable to make decisions and justifying the cost of buying all the other stuff I’d need when I have debts to pay off. Time to knock the idea on the head for a while and stick with occasional operating sessions on the table for the rare occasions when I’m in the mood.

Have you considered adding a 3 more boards to the existing one that you have so that you can make a modular circular layout? I looked at these boards a while back when considering a layout and felt that they were easy to join together but decided to make my own boards in the end.

Edited by Kristian-353752
typo
  • Like 1

I’m in a similar place to you at the moment @Moccasin as you know. My suggestion would be to use that board you already have to practice scenery and make a diorama. It may not serve another purpose now and it seems a shame to waste it.

As for a new table, it’s hard to choose what to go for as a lot of the advice is different. Hornby magazine use a standard 2x4 sectional style baseboard which I think sounds good for those space confined. A layout can be created in stages and then attached together. I think if my current small practice layout goes okay I will go down that route. I change my mind a lot and go off things for periods of time so it’s not good making anything too permanent. For now… it’s loop on the dining room table if I want to run long trains round and round. Hope that is of some help ☺️.

• Like 2

Thanks all for advice and encouragement. It really is very much appreciated. I’m sorry that I seem undecided and am blowing hot and cold all the time. I’m sure many of you wish I’d just get on and build something (me included).

After first posting this topic, I went for a walk and realised that I’m just not going to be able to build the sort/size of layout I want in my current situation (space/ finance/ skill level/ motivation/ work pressure/ spare time).

Doing something bijou/bonsai/svelte with what I already have, namely the small baseboard, in readiness for the J50 seems like my best and most logical course of action. It’s just not an era that really interests me or that I know much about, so I have to dig in and find some enthusiasm for it.

• Like 1