Advice on R089 signal extension

I believe that this set is used to extend the R140 gantry. This is an old set so you might need to hunt around. There are several other Hornby models with the same R number so  you might get some different models showing on a search. 

@Trevor-1205348   a little tip for the future:  maybe try make your title a little more meaningful and relevant to what you're asking, eg. "Advice on R089 signal extension set".  It then helps when people are reading down a list of new posts and choosing those of interest and/or those to which they may be able to contribute.   🙂    

There is an example of R.140 gantry signal on ebay at the moment.        If you go to model railway exhibitions it's always worth checking the second hand traders  and especially their "random bits" trays where such things as signals and bits of old building often end up. 

• Like 1

• RB51 changed the title to Advice on R089 signal extension

Many thanks for your help with this I purchased this some time ago and started to build a railway model during lockdown having found the set I purchased for my children about 1985, had my first Hornby about 1958 so a lot out touch 

Hi Trevor

The R089 fits on to the current R169 / R170 junction signal, the original numbers being R087 for a set of 2 signals 1x home signal and 1x distance junction signal.

You put two junction signals opposite each and it fills in the gap between the two junction signal platforms to make a gantry.

The original R140 gantry made for series 4 track is a one piece construction with four signal posts

• Like 1

The extension kit you have has nothing to do with the old Tri-ang R.140 signal gantry.

It was introduced in 1979 for use with the junction signals, that remain in the range to this day.  Sadly, Hornby dropped the extension kits in the early / mid 1980's. Today the extension kits are quite sought after, as there has been no gantry signals in the range since the demise of the old R.140 set.

The R.089 signal extension set fits the R.169/R.170 junction signals.  These very over scale signals were introduced in 1978, and remain in the range to this day.  1977 was the last great flowering of the ex-Tri-ang range including the close to scale old plastic ex-Tri-ang signals, R.140 being one of the old ex-Tri-ang plastic signal range,