Electrotren RENFE 309

Just received my preordered 309 and in only 15 months since it was announced so I am really happy!

This is a RENFE 3 axle shunter and the model is lovely. It is fitted with a Loksound 5 and sounds great - there have been moans on the Spanish forum 'Forotrenes' that the sound file is wrong and taken from the Rivarossi FS D.245 but as I'm unlikely to ever hear either of them it sounds fine to me! It has a fair weight to it and has been trundling round my test track with eight Roco Habfis bogie wagons this morning with no issues. LEDs and are subtle and not too bright and handrails are a work of art but could be susceptible to damage if the model is not handled carefully. 

Its not cheap though. This was almost an identical price to the Steam & Sound fitted Black 5 in OO so I would probably be just as happy with a TXS decoder and no gimmicky illuminated instrument panel. 

large.P4121125.JPG.6c09d5cbac557a17155d23fa1577e08f.JPG

large.P4121128.JPG.0aa184f42b90b46b8c1952c21361a173.JPG

large.P4121126.JPG.9bccf3089d2333651257fd7a9aa6c806.JPG

large.P4121127.JPG.ccfe3b353334cf25be04891b66045453.JPG

I have noticed with this loco and a few of the other sound fitted ones I have, most noticeably my Trix Scotsman,  that I cannot access all the functions using my Multimaus connected through Roco's 2002 10761 digital amplifier. Instead of another loco, I really need to upgrade my control system. With my system I cannot operate the rear lights or illuminated control panel on the 309 along with most of the user instigated sounds, but I'm sure they are there!

I really must lay some track!

• Like 3

@bill7437  I don't know if the sound is inaccurate - just that others have moaned about it and you know how model railway forum members, whatever country, like to moan about things they seem to think they are experts on. I couldn't care less as it sounds like a small diesel locomotive and has a decent horn. Once I get round to upgrading my DCC system I'll really be able to explore what features the model has to offer. I am very happy with it so far.

As to the price, about €30 less than Roco's similar size OBB 2062. Still, it's a lot of money but my choice.

I'm just awaiting the KLV53 now. It will be straight DCC. 

It’s looks a superb model. The isssue of ‘incorrect’ sounds is getting to point of arguing over rivet diameters 🤣 It’s not always possible to get the exact sound that another person may have heard and if the quality and functionality is appropriate, I think for 99% of people that is quite acceptable. On the limitations of accessing functions, I am in a similar situation. My Dynamis Ultra can access 20 but many decoders are coming with nice extras on 21 and above. I like HM DCC for programming etc but still prefer a more tactile controller and handheld rather than  desk bound. NCE Powercab is calling… 

• Like 1