Use of LaisDCC "stay alive" on HM7000

ColinB

If you watch Sam's latest video he actually fits a LaisDCC "stay alive" to an HM7000 decoder and it works properly. That does explain a lot, sadly I was not brave enough to do it, but that does explain why I couldn't find any differences in the circuits.

I fitted a DCC Concepts/AE Models  Stay Alive to a TXS decoder (has the same plug), and it works without any problems - so far😐. It does not appear to have the same duration as the Hornby version.

Edited by Bulleidboy
  • Like 1

I noticed this too - and was intrigued. However do note that Sam appears to be using the decoder in DCC mode, not Bluetooth mode, so the longevity of the stay alive is likely improved by that. Nonetheless quite interesting to note. Does anyone know exactly which decoder he was using? I felt that was the best Sam's episode in a while actually. Enjoyed it. 

It had to be the 8 pin to allow for it to be hardwired after the plug is cut off. The 8 pin also has solder pads for the capacitor in addition to the plug.

All of which of course renders the warranty void.

6 hours ago, Bulleidboy said:

I fitted a DCC Concepts/AE Models  Stay Alive to a TXS decoder (has the same plug), and it works without any problems - so far😐. It does not appear to have the same duration as the Hornby version.

Interesting, I have used the Powerbank on the HM7000 and the LaisDCC with Zimo decoders, there wasn't much difference in time. Obviously a lot is dependant on the motor current. I fitted one to a really old Hornby GWR Pannier 0-6-0 Pannier tank with the Scalextric motor and definitely that one didn't last as long. It doesn't happen with HM7000 but decoders like Train O Matic and Zimo have a CV which defines how low the loco will run without a valid DCC signal. Actually I doubt Sam is worried about Warranty but generally you save the bits you cut off and resolder them back on if there is an issue. I would have fitted a socket, but normally I fit a 6 pin one but that would have been useless for HM7000 as Hornby don't make a 6 pin HM7000. To be honest it only needs to last a couple of seconds, just enough to get over the dead parts of a point or crossing.

Absolutely agree with @ColinB that a stay alive really only needs a couple of seconds of life to get across a tiny problem area. A stay alive should never be a replacement for curing poor track connectivity. I stopped watching Sam after the debacle of poking a screwdriver into a decoder, the other stuff is drama but lack of basic electrical knowledge told me all I needed to know. 

Edited by Rallymatt
Grammar
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, GMD said:

I noticed this too - and was intrigued. However do note that Sam appears to be using the decoder in DCC mode, not Bluetooth mode, so the longevity of the stay alive is likely improved by that. Nonetheless quite interesting to note. Does anyone know exactly which decoder he was using? I felt that was the best Sam's episode in a while actually. Enjoyed it. 

I thought he said he had and used a Hornby TXS 8-pin sound decoder.

1 hour ago, GMD said:

@Bulleidboy - Spot on - many thanks - however being a goof myself what I meant to ask was if anyone knew what exact stay alive it was? Sorry for my blunder wasting your time. 

Go on EBay it is a LaisDCC, they do 5 sizes, I have just ordered 2 (I use them for all my 0-6-0 locos without tenders). Alternatively Digitrains do them as well. The guy at Digitrains recommended them. He generally uses them or the Train o Matic ones. The LaisDCC ones are smaller. Yes, Sam is running the decoder in DCC mode, most of us do, why not if you have a decent DCC controller. The thing that surprised me was that we  were all told that the Powerbank was specially designed to go with the HM7000, now it appears it is no different. I did wonder as it only has a two wire input, to vary the charge rate you need 3 wires, as in the case of the Train O Matic one. 

I suspect that notion was conflated from Hornby indicating that as they were not able to test every other third party SA on the market, their use could invalidate the warranty on the decoder. The only 'unique' part of the design (at the time of launch) was probably the plug.

Edited by SteveM6
  • Like 1

Yup, I can find this 

The HM7070 Power Bank will keep locomotives running over any potential dead spots. It works in a similar way to 'stay alive' or capacitors which are available from other manufacturers.

And this

(The Power Bank is not suitable for use without an HM7000 decoder, connecting it directly to other decoders or directly to the wiring of a model locomotive may cause damage to the Power Bank)

Nothing about being especially designed though.

R-

1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

I am sure on a video presentation there was a comment that the Hornby PB had bespoke circuitry to allow use with HM DCC BT decoders and others should not be used. 

Yes that is what was implied when it was first released. I have spent ages trying to figure out how they could do it with only two wires. I am a bit rusty with electronics since I retired, but the fundamentals don't change. Perhaps originally they were going to do it, hence the 3 way connector but decided not to and then came up with a suitable excuse for the missing wire. It happens in Industry all the time. Sometimes you add an extra pin for future expandability, if you are going to design a pcb you add all eventualities. Either way it doesn't matter anymore, it does mean though you might be able to find room for "stay alive" if the Powerpack won't fit.