Tyre sizes

LesD

Why does Scalexrric only show tyres that relate to specific cars in the Shop?

surely tyres could fit many different cars so including their size in the description would help finding a tyre that would fit, if there were none listed for that specific car?

Hi There,

I get your point for sure. In theory, since Hornby switched to most cars having the same wheel size a few years ago (at 1/32 scale the size between 13, 14 and 15 inch wheels is barely perceptible) I would argue a lot of the newer cars would be interchangeable, especially if car is of a similar era and/or series (Trans Am cars for example).

It is mostly just bandwidth of the employees. Scalextric is somewhat smaller than say Hornby trains and updating such a list would take time.

Sometimes the reason though is down to licensing. Sometimes they are allowed to write "Goodyear" sometimes they are not. A few years ago Carrera got bad feedback because their NASCAR model had "Carrera" on the tires instead of "Goodyear" but it was down to licensing.

So it could be the case that they have to differentiate for legal reasons (mildly pathetic I know).

To provide a bit of a positive spin it though, a lot of forums have maintained databases that show tire sizes etc,.  and we could even entertain setting up something like that here!

Of course! It’s just come to me, I should be swopping my tyres between my cars ( I have a mix of open wheel and bodied cars, most bought in last 3 years) to check compatibility and I may find the “equivalent” tyre on another car.

• Like 1